Re: [TowerTalk] Shack to service entrance ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack to service entrance ground
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:00:44 -0700
On 8/18/23 8:32 AM, K8ZM wrote:
I am getting close to my project of completely re-doing all coax and control
cables entering the shack and "finally" have almost everything.  I'll be
installing an 8 Ft (5/8" Dia) ground rod at the shack entrance and need to
tie that to my service entrance ground however my service entrance is 100 Ft
from the shack so extending that and burying it will be a PITA but necessary
none-the-less.  Loaned or misplaced my NEC book but I had planned running 6
Ga stranded copper wire to tie both ground rods together.  Is code 6 Ga or 4
Ga ??

OK - you're in sort of an interesting situation, because your "shack ground" electrode isn't part of the required grounding for your house - that is, it's not a supplemental grounding electrode.

Nor is it part of a lightning grounding/dissipation system, so all those rules don't matter.

In general NEC calls for a AWG6 copper or AWG4 aluminum to connect the grounding electrode to the panel.  So it seems that's an Upper Bound on the size you need. There's no requirement for burial (which is why the conductor is so big, for mechanical durability more than fault current capability.

But what you're really doing here is trying to tie physically separated grounding domains together.  do you have AC receptacles in your shack that have a ground pin? What's that connected to?

I'd take a gander at Jim's grounding and bonding book.

Funny but I keep thinking this will end up being an "exercise" as everything
works like a champ as it is, just changing coax lengths I fear will cause
all kinds of grief..it shouldn't but..

Thanks,

Brad, K8ZM