[TowerTalk] Rotator Replacement in LM354 Question

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rotator Replacement in LM354 Question
From: Rob <Rob@drumon.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 00:40:56 -0700
Hi Group,

  I need to replace the TailTwister rotor. It is about 3 feet down from the top. My antenna stack consists of a 20 foot 2" CM mast with a 4 element SteppIR at about 15" above the top plate with a 13 element 2m beam up several feet and topped with a 27 element 70cm beam which weigh very little. So most of the weight is the mast and SteppIR which I figure is around 200 pounds. To replace the rotor, I need to lift the mast up a couple inches to lift it off the top of the rotor. There are 2 plates at the top of the LM354 spaced about 6" apart tied together with a 6" tube that the mast slides through and is slightly larger in diameter than the 2" mast so it is fairly snug.   So my question is that if I were to pull up the mast, and removing the rotor clamp, will the 6" tube be rigid enough to keep the stack from leaning too far from vertical? My hope is that since the majority of the weight is near the top of the tower, there is not an excessive amount of force to want to tilt it over. Is that what this tube is designed for?   Or is this not strong enough and I need to design a temporary bracket of some sort or maybe nylon straps around the mast and each leg just above the rotor to keep it centered?

Thanks,
Rob K6DQ

it won't want to