Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendations?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Butane soldering iron recommendations?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:10:55 -0300
 Thank you Drew and everyone else that replied.

I looked at a number of the recommended butane irons you all mentioned to me.

Some are not available in Canada or have temp sold out and so in the end I
decided on a Weller/(Portasol)
"Weller PSI100K Super-Pro Self-Igniting Cordless Butane Soldering Iron Kit"
from Amazon.ca for
a whopping $219.  I hope it lasts, (I've never paid $219 for a soldering iron)
but surely it has to be better than the $34.50 one I got from Lee Valley Tools
a few years ago.
IIRC I paid $29.95 for it back then, hi hi

Some had mentioned thermal mass, especially in the ccccold or wind, and this
model seemed to have a rather large tip included (as well as what I'd call a
"normal sized" tip),. so hope that helps. It claims to be the rough equivalent
of a 125watt iron.

As a matter of interest, 15minutes ago I used my "killawatt" measuring device
to see how many watts my dual range (100w/140w) Weller gun was using.  The
answer is 81watts and 101watts. (disappointing!)

I appreciate all the info, stories, advice and what-have-you.

I may post one follow up once I have had a chance to try it.  There are already
frost warnings in various parts of my Province.  Certainly a foreign concept to
some, hi hi!

73 - Cheers

Mike VE9 Antenna Antenna

Hi Mike,

I absolutely love my butane Iroda SolderPro 180.  Perfect combination of power
and size.  It can handle small wires, but has enough power for PL259 shells
outside in the wind. About $120 on Amazon.  Easy to use up the tower also.

73,
Drew K3PA

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB