Re: [TowerTalk] Diagnosing a stuck rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Diagnosing a stuck rotator
From: George Skoubis <geo.skoubis@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 01:06:46 -0700
Al,

  If you can see your antenna from your hamshack try this:

  Put your RT-21 in DBG mode (Debug, it will ignore the absence of the reed
switch pulses and provide voltage to operate the motor).

  Use the manual buttons to turn the antenna either way.  Be careful as the
OR2800 will ruin your coax if you turn it too far, this is just a way to test
if the reed switch or the two sensor wires are the problem.

  If the OR2800 turns the antenna both ways you have a reed switch or sensor
wire problem.  If there is a mechanical binding problem you will also be able
to see that.

  If the OR2800 does not turn the antenna measure the voltage at the RT-21
terminals to check if the internal power supply is producing the correct
voltage.  This probably isn’t your problem if the M2 controller is also giving
you an error message.

  You can also connect an 18-24 volt DC power supply to the OR2800 motor wires
after disconnecting them from the RT-21.  If the antenna turns swap the
polarity to test turning in the opposite direction.  I’m assuming you have the
DC version of the OR2800.

  If the OR2800 turns the antenna with the external power supply something is
wrong with the power supply in your RT-21 and your reed switch / sensor wires
(and probably the M2 controller as well which makes this unlikely but possible).

  I will stress again to make sure you are able to see your antenna while doing
these tests, the OR2800 has a lot of torque and you don’t want to make your
problems worse if there is mechanical binding or an internal OR2800 gear
problem.

  I had the reed switch fail on my OR2800 a couple of times…. I used the RT-21
in debug mode while aiming my antennas by eye for a couple of contests a few
years ago…

——-

  There is also a possibility that the 250 foot wire is too long for the two
sensor wires.  If you read the OR2800 manual it mentions the square wave signal
can get distorted with long runs.  Try using some cheap RG-6 between your shack
and the base of the tower (just for the two sensor wires).  Connect it to the
rotor cable sensor wires at the base of the tower…

This was a problem I had at my current QTH when I had a temporary hamshack 250
feet from my tower base.  The RG-6 solved that problem until I moved my
hamshack closer to the tower.

 This may also explain why your problem is intermittent.

  Either way I hope this helps you diagnose and solve your problem…

Good Luck!

George / W7GES

Sent from my iPad