Re: [TowerTalk] Help with FIRST TIME STATION

To: "Dave ." <ktx85@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help with FIRST TIME STATION
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:27:08 -0500
There are a lot of variables in tower design. Iterative stress analysis is
done to predict where stresses are high. I am not a structural engineer,
but I worked on stress structural analysis software.

When you raise and lower a crank up tower, it changes the area and shape of
the structure. Wind forces on the tower diminish, and the “topple moment”
obviously changes with height, as you have indicated.

The lift cable, and to some extent, the pull down cable, introduces another
failure mode. Upper sections are suspended, many towers the upper sections
are hanging there and there is movement in wind unless the cable is not
slack. Check the pull-down spring, replace it if it is rusty or slack.

So it is complicated. And what about the tornado that comes Sunday while
you’re out and didn’t lower it?

I have seen one tower that uses wind speed to lower the tower, but
auto-lowering worries me.

As you have heard before - talk to the manufacturer. If they’re still
around, they can give specific guidance.

Mickey N4MB

“Ends and beginnings—there are no such things. There are only middles.”
Robert Frost