Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Delta Loop

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M Delta Loop
From: Brian Beezley <k6sti@att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2024 17:01:06 -0700
Jim Brown wrote:

> I looked at the FCC map, and you're right, Bob, your soil conductivity is poor.

That's a good use of the FCC map, Jim. I had completely written it off for ham use once I discovered that it applies only to the AM broadcast band. Values will be quite different at HF. But ranking 1 MHz ground conductivity by location should yield the same HF ranking.

However, the map has a serious drawback: its resolution is so coarse that only regional comparisons are valid. It's not possible to deduce the ground conductivity at a particular QTH from the map values. For example, N6LF in Oregon measures 1 MHz ground conductivity more than four times as high as the FCC map indicates for his QTH.

The FCC maps were generated by measuring signal strength vs distance for AM broadcast stations. At these frequencies ground permittivity plays little part, but ground conductivity has a pronounced effect. This article describes how the map was created:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q96gzgvrpztuycqkkuuhw/FCC-Map-Article.pdf?rlkey=y1cao30j81kppq13yclvwweid&st=9vd6bx5y&dl=0

My latest on HF ground constants:

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/hfgc.htm

Brian