[WriteLog] WriteLog upgrade policy- upDATES or upGRADES?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WriteLog upgrade policy- upDATES or upGRADES?
From: ldh3@cornell.edu (Laurence 'Mike' Hammer)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:04:26 -0500

One important clarification to what N5SMQ included, below.  Even the
"mighty M$" (pronounced "micro-dollar") totally abandons programs and OSes
after they're not worth the support headache.

You can't really compare support for programs and OSes, which is what was
done in the original question.  OSes are kept alive as long as a
"significant client" still runs it; the rule is that all significant
clients are "heartily encouraged" to move to the latest-greatest.  Programs
are abandoned much more easily based on business cost curves, even big
expensive ones.  Try to get an update for J++, for example, which was a
very alive and in-development tool just eight months ago.  Dropped like a
stone with no warning whatsoever, and no ongoing support.  Or MS-DOS, "used
by literally millions of computers on secure networks
worldwide."  Abandoned when Win95 was released.  Or Windows 3.1, ditto.

You can't get an excellent product for nothing; somebody is paying the
price even if it's not you.  Free programs are supported on the tiring
backs of unfortunate or hobbyist programmers, who will eventually drop
support.  Been there.

If you want a well-supported program that continues to grow you should to
be willing to pay for it.  My $0.02.

Mike N2VR