K5ZD - WPX Phone SO-AB

Randy Thompson k5zd at ultranet.com
Sun Mar 31 22:37:25 EST 1996

                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: K5ZD                     Country:  United States, W1
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator
                                               High Power

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160       42       84   2.0       32     1/4-wave GP
       80      203      822   4.0      112     Inv Vee @ 95'
       40      125      686   5.5       59     40-2CD @ 110'
       20     1135     3158   2.8      423     205CA/205CA @ 100'/50'
       15       69      182   2.6       40     TH7DXX @ 70'
       10       18       54   3.0        2     TH7DXX @ 70'
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   1592     4986   3.1      670  =   3,340,620
                              ^^^
Part time effort:  20.5 Hours

These part time efforts kill me.  I don't want to spend the whole weekend in the
contest so I don't commit.  But, I end up not getting any sleep because I do family
stuff all day and try to operate all night!  This would be an incredible weekend for
a CW contest.

Where was all the USA activity?  I think I usually get called by more W's during
ARRL DX than I did this weekend.  Of course, having a vanilla K5 call probably
doesn't attract the good stuff!  Still amazing to have 3.1 Pts/Q!

Band summary:

160m: Heard EU both nights.  First night was very quiet and was able to work
some.

80m: Good EU both nights.  Especially at EU sunrise.

40m: How come signals aren't this loud in CW contests?  Never could get answers to
CQs until the last hour.

20m:  What can you say?  The whole world was here.  Sat was impossible to get a freq
or answers to CQs.  Spent most of my time S&P.  Sunday, I got on at sunrise and was
able to hold a spot for 5 hours.  In spite of the best efforts of NE9U and others.  Great
JA opening each afternoon.  Sun morning saw lots of Asiatic Russians plus HS50A, BY1QH,
BV2KI, and others.

I noticed 20 was so crowded, even the SSTV guys gave up.

15m: Worked one EU on Sat, three on Sun.  Really good African activity.

10m: Brief opening on Sun afternoon to LU!

Randy Thompson
K5ZD

E-mail: k5zd at ultranet.com
11 Hollis Street,  Uxbridge, MA 01569
h (508) 278-2355         w (508) 543-8600 x-260