N1PBT SO NAQP Phone score

Ronald D Rossi rrossi at btv.ibm.com
Mon Aug 19 09:54:27 EDT 1996

    Callsign Used : N1PBT
         Operator : N1PBT
         Category : SOLP
        Team/Club : Big Blue Contesters

   80SSB      90          90         90      34
   40SSB     188         188        188      47
   20SSB      84          83         83      31
   15SSB     108         108        108      25
   10SSB      36          36         36      17

 Totals      506         505        505     154

    Final Score = 77770 points.

Equipment: Ten-Tec Omni-D @ 100 W
           Butternut HF6V vertical 10-40m
           80m dipole @ 35'

 Soapbox Comments

Wow was 40m great or what!  Aside from a very minor equipment glitch and an early break to help my wife with the youngest one this contest was super.  (Oh yeah, there was that brain fart where I logged about 10 contacts on 15m when I was working 20m...it sure stunk up the shack!  I did my best to fix that.) I did much better this time than any other of the four NAQPs I have worked, enjoying some of the best sustained rates I have ever had from home.  20m was pretty punky.  Good S&P rate, but no runs there.  I had a lot of fun on 15m and changed bands 21 times looking for 10m Qs and to be heard on 20m (and 80m for that matter).  Participation was good and the pig farmers and SSTV folks were tame...who said the prayers?!

Using the second VFO to prowl the band is a real help.  I have to figure out how to set my station up for 2 radios.  A local ham has offered to lend me a second radio to use.  I think I am ready to try it?!?!  Best 10 minutes was 22 on 40m ending 01:10, which capped off my best hour of 86 on 40m ending 01:11.

--
73 de N1PBT...ron (rrossi at btv.ibm.com) <><