AB5SE SO/LP ARRL 160 Test

AB5SE at aol.com AB5SE at aol.com
Mon Dec 9 15:15:21 EST 1996

1996 ARRL 160 METER CONTEST

     Call used: AB5SE                          Location: AR
                   Power:100 Watts

     Category: Single Op  / Low Power      Mode: CW

     Callsign of Operator: AB5SE

     Exchanged Information: AB5SE 599 AR

     Hours of Operation: 13

     Band      QSOs     Points
     -------------------------
     160        390        786
     -------------------------
     TOTAL      390        786   X   59 Multipliers  =  46,374

Comments:This was my first 160 contest. The antenna used on my small 120' X
60'
               	city lot was an Alpha Delta Sloper.  It seemed to work well
but I am sure
	     	there were some stations calling me that I was unable to hear.  It
would
	sure be nice to have the room for "listening" antennas.  I also fought a
	nearly constant S5 to S7 noise level.  I had some operating help from my
	Siamese cat.  He seemed to enjoy the hand movement while I was sending
	with the paddle and would "swat" at it sometimes sending an extra dit or
	dah.  If this had been a serious effort I would have found this extremely
	annoying (and shut the cat out of the room) but in a casual effort, with
lots
	 of CQing between responses, I found it entertaining.   I am constantly
	amazed with the number of GOOD CW ops.  Although some consider this
	mode antiquated, perhaps with good reason, I still find it to be very
efficient
	and enjoyable.  Thanks to the league for sponsoring yet another great
	contest and thanks to all participants.

      Jerry Richards, AB5SE

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com