K3KO 160 SOAHP

alsopb at VANCE.NET alsopb at VANCE.NET
Mon Dec 9 18:18:58 EST 1996

K3KO
SINGLE OP (ASSISTED)  HIGH POWER   (MULTI-OP BY ARRL'S STRANGE
DEFINITION)
599NC

350 QSOS X60 SECX13 COUNTRIES = 54,385
10 HOURS.

Out of commission Friday night because I tore down 160 M antenna (it was
a dog) in a fit of anger on Friday morning.

Put up 160M Inv. L on Saturday.  Started adding radials (galvanized
electric fence wire) but the impedance wouldn't drop below about 60
ohms.  Ripped up the radials and soldered together all avaliable pieces
of scrap copper wire.  Got impedance to 45 ohms  (read still at least
3db of ground loss left).   Lesson: Don't use galvanized wire for
radials!  You want as close to zero ohm radials as possible.

Saturday night was a horror.  QRN was so bad I quit in disgust after a
few hours.

Blew up beverage box Thursday before contest.  Used with 9:1 xfmr wound
from old 1:1 bauln parts at the feedl and JPS ANC-4 as preamp in shack.
Neat arrangement actually.  Could mix the beverage signal (noise
antenna)  with the inverted-L (normal ant)  or use one or the other by
turning a few knobs.  Am considering continuing this after install
pre-amp at the Beverage feed.

More COPPER radial wire arrived on Monday.

CU all in CQ 160M Contest.

Brian/K3KO
Henderson, NC
Vance Net Inc