W0GU Internet Sprint

LondonSM smlondon at lucent.com
Mon Dec 23 08:03:44 EST 1996

W0GU (N2IC op)

40 meters: 174 QSO's
80 meters:  10 QSO's

Total:  184 QSO's

Turned on the radio figuring I would use N2IC, and a starting name of "Steve".
 Hearing K4AAA warming up gave me the idea to try out W0GU.  I signed that call
once, and Tree called me with "Hi Jay".  That sealed the starting name for me !

Thankfully, it was a 40 meter contest - I had terrible line noise on 80, and
signals seemed weak.  Kept the 40 meter beam pointed east, and used the
beverages to pull through K6AW (why were you so weak ?) and N0AX.

Lost several QSO's due to the other station forgetting to send the exchange.
 This happened when I CQ'd, got an answer, sent my exchange, and the other guy
needed fills.  The other guy would acknowledge the fills and then disappear,
never sending his exchange.  N9IG was the most notable culprit.

I should have read the rules before the contest - I sent the name much too
fast, probably causing copying errors that will cost me QSO's.

I sincerely hope that KZ2S continues to do most of his operating multi-op from
N2RM, and not overuse that N2NC call.  Much too similar to my real call !  What
was wrong with your previous call, John ?

The names got increasingly wierd as the contest progressed.  SUEY ? GINKY ?
YEAHRIGHT ?  GEEQYE ?  SLUPY ?  ENGLAND ?

How come I worked G4BUO twice running barefoot with the beam pointed east, but
couldn't work a single G on 40 meters in CQWW CW running 1500 watts ?  Go
figure.

A fun 2 hours.

73,
Steve, N2IC (a.k.a. W0GU)