TBDC entry

Keith Morehouse - W9RM blckhole at ripco.com
Mon Dec 30 13:16:09 EST 1996

1996 TopBand DX Challenge
W9RM  Single Operator Low Power
Illinois - EN52rb

133 Q's
810 points
4 hours

FT990 + "1/4 lambda sloper" loaded tower

Fun to be sending grid squares on a band below 6M !  Surprisingly, all
but 2 guys sent the proper exchange 1st time through.  One local didn't
know his square (oh well, 1 point either way) and one VE, operating the
RAC had to be shamed into reveling his square by me exchanging a RAC
report (RR NR 01  01  01 BK).  A local big time VHF op was sure it was
going to be a disaster.  "Yeah sure - how many 160 types know what a
grid square is ??"  Hopefully, we can begin to chip away at the "canned"
report currently used in all the major tests and go to something that
actually requires copying information.  Grid squares in DX tests RULE !

The test itself ?  QRN.

Heard and worked GM3POI and a SM4 for the only EU's.  Worked KH6AT early
for a nice 14 pointer and heard KL7Y with a real good signal at what
must have been his sunset, working AA8U.  Dan !  You should have stuck
around and called CQ !!

Had been up late the previous few nights smoking up 80M, so couldn't cut
getting / staying up for the sunrise stuff.  All in all, not to bad for
100W, 4 hours, a not-yet-resonant antenna system and no RX antenna from
the Blackhole of EN52 !
--
PROBE ELECTRONICS 100 Higgins Road, Park Ridge IL 60068 USA
847-696-2828  FAX: 847-698-2045  e-mail: blckhole at ripco.com

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com