KC4ZV LOW POWER SPRINT

Greg Richard KC4ZV kc4zv at iquest.com
Sun Feb 4 13:48:30 EST 1996

80 meters  76 q's    40 meters   60 q's   20 meters   7 q's

38 mults    score   5,434

It all began with the ice storm thursday night. carpet guys couldn't/
wouldn't install carpet in basement where radio room is located. I had
hauled all the stuff out just after cqww 160 test and had planned
to have station set up with amps for phone sprint. KE4GY was going to
operate from here but athe flu bug is still working on frank.

Friday no work as we have 3 inches of ice and almost 2 inches of snow on
thje ground here. I guess i'm glad i don't have any beams on the tower yet
but the cushcraft 2l 40 on sawhorses in the backyard has about 3/4" of
ice built up on the elements.  Being in the south, we don't have the need
for snow equipment to keep the roads cleared (or so they say).
Sat morning, i finally decide i will lug everything back to the basement
to do the sprint and put alabama on the air. i figured no one else from
alabama would be on so i'd do the noble thing .
have to fix a frozen hot water line on washer before the lugging can begin
always exciting to be under the house,, wet and muddy in 15 degree wx.
to find out the water line runs outside the block wall under my porch.
cut a plank out of p[orch reinsulate and defrost pipe with hairdryer
in about an hour.

start lugging stuff back to basement, pull wires out of ceiling, curse
carpet men again since i'm going to doing this AGAIN REAL SOON.
5 minutes before contest, finish washing dishes (wanna contest? gotta
make a deal)   run to basement, excited about the low power effort adn
putting alabama on the air.   tune across 20 work 7 guys and band dies
for me anyway  2 of my 7 q's on 20 were with alabama stations.  so much
for the theory. i think they both quit very early so it wan't a
wsted cause.

go to 40   a bit better still tough with low power.  took a look at 75
at 0100. seems wall to wall with qso's etc. not sure where sprinters
are going to find a hole to cq without causing qrm.  spent rest of the
contest between 40 and 75  working a few getting stomped on, repeating
info etc.
very disappointed in lack of activity  (that i could hear) from the south
heare w1ihn in nc but no qso, paths never crossed. and heard a weak ky
station.  also very disappointed in the conduct of sprinters intentionally
qrming existing qso's .  Not all the problem on 75 is caused by the pig
farmers

73's  just my opinion

greg  kc4zv