IR4T CQ160 score and comments

i4jmy at ljutcp.hamradio.si i4jmy at ljutcp.hamradio.si
Tue Feb 27 21:59:42 EST 1996

    Here we are to thank CQ MAGAZINE and WW 160 Contest manager for
  fantastic opportunity for contesting again on the TOP BAND !

   Thanks also to all of You for having called us, with special care
  to who we couldn't copy, expecially from USA.
   We are very sorry for, but this happened because of the HUGE QRM
  being existing on the band here in Europe.

   One european station (but much more were there) was enough to destroy
  reception of DX signals in the DX window and out even for who, like us
  was using an high gain directional array.

    The DX window needs probably to be somehow modified, at least for
  the SSB session. If 5 KHz could be reasonable on CW,(narrow bandwiths),
  on phone this seems to be absolutely unuseful (too small). To gain a
  place it is a matter of "brute force" but the benefit is relative.

    This is way we sadly decided to stay out from, having best results
  (in DX qsos) with split operations. (even if, nearly all the times we
  found a clear spot for receiving, a certain european station, whose
  suffix is  "AA", started to call just there, blanking our reception)

    Behind someone unsportmanship, it could be not a bad idea to make
  different DX spots windows for calling from EU, Africa, Asia, vs.
  AMERICA direction and vice versa, meanwhile receiving split in other
  small "protected areas".

    For a solution like this the required banwidth could be only twice
  the actual DX window, but the "efficency" would be exponentially better.
    In a system like this several stations could call even close to each
  other without making each other reception hard or impossible !!

    This is only just one idea for having what the band is potentially
  able to offer but's kept hidden. A number of (different) ideas could
  be a good starting point for a future improvement in score an fun !!

                          ------------------

  Relating to the contest we noticed medium conditions and a quite big
  activity here in Eu. There was a lack of Asiatic stations while the
  Africa ones were very rare.
   Concerning propagation between southern Europe and North America the
  first night was definitely much better than the second.

  OUR VERY PRELIMINARY BREAKDOWN IS THE FOLLOWING:

    IR4T      Multi single        ( ops. I4JMY I4UFH I4YSS IK4IEE )

    QSO    QSO-pts    COUNTRIES     STATES/VE prov.        SCORE

    572     3077          68              23              280.007

 That's all, for now.  73's and see you soon in the ARRL and CQWW WPX !!

                                                   The IR4T  Crew