KC7EM--ARRL Int'l DX (40m, Single-Op) Score

Steve Kelly srkelly at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Jan 1 17:47:46 EST 1996

         -+-+-+- 1996 ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX "CW" CONTEST SCORE -+-+-+-

KC7EM -- Single-Op, Single-Band, 40 Meters

Rig:            FT-1000D
Amp:            Henry
Antennas:       3/3 Full Size DX Engineering Yagis @ 160 and 80 feet.
                Both on TIC RingRotors
Software:       TR Log 5.61

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries

   40CW      989         989       2964        83      = 246,012 points.
 ______________________________________________________  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comments:

Friday -- A few good sigs but noticeably weaker than they should have been.
Something on the order of 30dB weaker!!  After the usual pre and post
sunset boost in signals things went to !@%$#@.  At 05z I decided to take a
break and watch the X-Files. :-)  Afterward, since there were no EU's to
speak of, it was time to look for JA's and the south pacific.  JA runs were
pretty good (if you call 30 to 60 per hour good).

Saturday -- LP opening allowed me to work some EU stations I never heard
during the previous night.  After sunset ON4UN was nearly always loudest at
110 deg.  When I listened over the north pole everything went quiet.  This
is definitely a symptom of the very low solar flux.

Sunday -- Interesting LP phenomenan;  the band went very quiet (too
quiet!!) and yeilded an opening into the middle east and nowhere else.
Worked TA2BK and A92Q then the band noise came back up.  EU didn't come in
until very late (after 15:45z).

Highlights:  Working TA2BK and A92Q.  Not much but I had to put something here.
             TR Log  (worked great -- no glitches)
             X-Files Friday night.

Lowlights:   Total lack of propagation to EU.
             Usual mults not heard: Too many to list!

  Continental Breakdown        1996        1995
                                40          40
                   ---    --    --    --    --
  USA calls   =      0     0     0     0     0
  VE calls    =      0     0     0     0     0
  N.A. calls  =      0     0    35     0    25
  S.A. calls  =      0     0    23     0    15
  Euro calls  =      0     0   141     0   194
  Afrc calls  =      0     0     8     0    12
  Asia calls  =      0     0    40     0    43
  JA calls    =      0     0   687     0   646
  Ocen calls  =      0     0    55     0    53

  Total calls =      0     0   989     0   988

I look at contesting under these poor condx as a training period for when
the bands really come back to life.

73, Steve  KC7EM

--------
Steve Kelly