N8RR CW SS

Charles Young rfpwr at linknet.net
Tue Nov 5 18:12:37 EST 1996

SO HP---N8RR

19 Hours

1014 Q's x 78 Mults = 158,184

First time seriously trying 2 radios. 129 2nd radio Q's. Found it very
distracting. Mistakes-- not muting the sidetone on either radio, and not
using the computer to key the second radio. As a matter of fact, used the
vibroplex keyer paddle on 80% of the main radio Q's. Old habits are hard to
break. The TR software will fix this, if I can bring myself to work a cw
contest without significant use of a keyer paddle! It will be less
distracting if one does not have to listen to the cw being transmitted by
the computer. Holding a run frequency while making a 2nd radio Q was also a
problem..the TR software will also fix this by cqing on the run freq
automatically whenever the exchange is being copied on the search radio.

It is obvious to me that a different skill set is required by those who use
computers/two radios in an optimum manner as opposed to just running
stations with one radio. As someone else said, the first attempts at two
radio operation can be humbling, to say the least. This is true.

Another mistake: not being able to put all antennas on either radio. Many
have told me this was necessary, but I did not have the time to implement
the needed switching.

Positives: sweep, averaging 99Q's/hr for the first two hours, staying close
to the big stations longer, and no cross band interference on the
antenna/band combos I had available.

This is a fun contest, but I have to be honest and say that I personally
haven't figured it out.

73, Chas N8RR

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com