W7ZRC SS CW Score

Rod Greene w7zrc at micron.net
Thu Nov 7 19:42:00 EST 1996

 W7ZRC ID 161,854 1051 77 24

                  W7ZRC CW SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 02-Nov-96, 03-Nov-96, 04-Nov-96

         Category : SOLP Unassisted  24 hours

 Default Exchange : SN A W7ZRC 54 ID

  160CW        8           8         16       0  1/4 vert/100 Radials
   80CW      157         157        314       6  HyTower/  "
   40CW      360         359        718      18  3 el KLM @ 120 ft
   20CW      392         392        784      53  KT34XA @ 130 ft
   15CW      135         135        270       0  "
   10CW	       0           0          0       0  "

 Totals     1052        1051       2102      77  Yep, no WYO !!!!

    Final Score = 161854 points.

 Kenwood TS950SDX - 150 W., TR Log 5.87

Lots of credit to Tree for an outstanding logger and for George
who sent me the latest version at the last moment! Outstanding
service. I wish I could get the same from some of my vendors at
work, but that's another story. I accidently crashed my PC about
half way through by throwing the wrong switch. Talk about pucker!
Tree's software had dutifully written my last Q to the restart
file, and all was recovered when I restarted the program. BTW,
in checking my log, I see I really fouled up the exchange
I logged for W5WMU (who I worked very early). Was it first hour
jitters, or did Tree have a gremlin hidden in the code ;-) ??

I was pleasantly surprised to find some good activity on 15. Maybe
next year 10 will be there too. 160 was fun too. During a lull on
80 Saturday nite (probably while NA7R was on) I tried 160 and made
a few contacts. I was on 1834 and was politely told that I was in
the DX window. I asked where I should move, and "below 20" was
suggested, so I QSY'd there. The station who asked me to move
was kind enough to QSY too and give me a contact. (his first).
Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. I had thought the window
ended at 1830, so what is the DX window now?

Fourty was definitely long and so was 80. I think 80 sounded much
better on Sun evening though. I was hearing the East Coast without
a problem and almost everyone who I called came back without any
strain. Like others, I thought there were lots of QRP'ers. Maybe
I'll do a check of the log for a count, might be interesting.

Was pleasantly surprised to have VY1JA and CI2AWR call me early
in the test. Many thanks guys! But when Wyo was still outstanding
when I went to bed Sat night, I knew it was a bad sign. I did hear
Wayne Sunday afternoon on 14038 working up. Propagation just wasn't
there for our short path. Maybe I would have been successful later
when he turned his beam West (per a W6 posting earlier). I had
been checking and calling for longer than I should have. Although
the sweep has a great reward, I stayed around trying longer
than I should have. Got to remember the name of the game is make lots
of Q's. It was beautiful to hear Wayne running that pile. What a
great skill!

My score was slightly less than last year's. I think part of my
problem was that I was not as motivated as last year. Mental readiness
is a big part of this contest game. As a result, I just couldn't
get things going at first when the high rates are there to be had.
Seems like I fumbled around for a long time and my rates were 60,
60 and 60 for the first three hours. Got to set up a strategy for
next year and have some goals to shoot for.

All in all it's the best contest around. Thanks to all for the fun
and Q's.
----- Rod Greene, w7zrc at micron.net, <>< -----

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com