WB9HRO SS CW WIS QRP

JHFitzJr at aol.com JHFitzJr at aol.com
Sun Nov 10 00:33:29 EST 1996

Station:WB9HRO
Operator:WB9HRO
Section:Wisconsin
Category:QRP

Score: 578 QSO X 75 SEC  =  86 700 pts

Sections heard and missed: VE4 (heard VE4GV several times and could not work
him), and KP4 (heard at least 3 stations and couldn't work any of them)
Section never heard: WYOMING!!!!!!!!!

Breakdown:  Band  QSOS  Time  Mult
                   80      117       5.8    14
                   40      219       7.3    24
                   20      229       7.3    29
                   15       13        0.6     8

Total Time: 21.0 Hrs

Club: None close to Winter, WI

Gear: IC-765, 4 watts. 386 sx machine CT version 7.x
         80 meters: 135 ft dipole at 50 ft
         40 meters: Cushcraft 2 el at 95 ft, 135 ft dipole at 50 ft
         20 meters: 204BA at 100 ft, 204BA fixed west at 60 ft, c-3 fixed SE
at 35 ft, the
                         same old 135 ft dipole at 50 ft
         15 meters: 155BA at 60 ft
         Various switches and phasing lines

Observations: I started this contest literally on top. Of my 90 ft tower that
is. I discovered the rotor was stuck about 30 min before the test. Went up
top, pointed the antennas west, came down, and discovered it worked. No
problems the rest of the test. First QSO was 40 minutes into the test.
Conditions the first night were ok on 20, but 40 and later 80 were difficult.
Quite noisy, particularly on 80. After operating 10 hrs went to bed with 241
QSOs and 66 mults. Nearly all but about 20 or so were S&P. I got a few by
CQing on 20 and 40. 80 produced no responses even on a clear frequency,
probably due to noise. Set the alarm, and slept through it, which was
probably good because I was getting over a head cold and probably needed the
sleep more than an extra hour or so in the test. Felt much better on Sun.
Made 337 QSOs in 11 hrs. Conditions were quite good on 20 and 40, and 80 was
much less noisy Sun evening. I was able to hold frequencied on 20 and 40
about 14075, and 7015 and 7080. CQing produced rates about twice that of S&P.
I only had one op steal my freq. At QRP power antennas are the big
difference. The 2 el on 40 plays well. Pointing east during the day produced
lots of QSOs. It is always as good or better than the dipole at 50 ft, in
spite of conventional wisdom regarding low antennas in SS. I can phase any of
the beams on 20. It provides good directional diversity and good rates CQing
if I can find a clear freq. 80 was only good S&P. Of the 117 QSOs, a mighty 2
came as a result of CQs. I'm sure this reflects the antennas. Overall rate
was about 20/hr on 80 and 30/hr on 20 and 40. Best hours, 48 (on 40)
 followed by 40 (on 20). Worst hours (full 60 minute operation) 17, 17, 18,
18 on Sat nite (mostly on 80). This was my best ever QRP effort. Previous
best was in 1989 when my antenna system was not as well developed (present 90
ft tower was 60 ft, and had only one 20 meter beam). Next year I'll go QRO
again. I was very frustrated Sat nite with only 97 QSOs between 0300 and
0900. Sunday restored my spirits, but I guess it's best for me to not do this
too often.

Regards

Jim
WB9HRO