KT4LD/QRP SS SCORE

Andrew H Lewis kt4ld at juno.com
Mon Nov 18 14:20:27 EST 1996

		ARRL SWEEPSTAKES-1996

CALL: KT4LD/QRP               SECTION: NORTH CAROLINA
MODE: SSB                            CATEGORY: SINGLE OP UA/QRP

BAND         QSO        QSO PTS         SECTIONS          ANTENNA

160             0                 0                         -
NONE
80               40               80                      -
80 MTR DIPOLE IN ATTIC
40               115            230                     -
Loopskywire in ATTIC
20               121            242                     -
Loop and 10 mtr ant in ATTIC
15               10              20                       -
80 mtr dipole and Loop in ATTIC
10               1                2                         -
Loopskywire in the ATTIC

Totals        288          576                    78

                              Score=44,928

Power Output: 4 watts                    Hours of operation:  12.5

Club Affiliation: Potomic Valley Radio Club (PVRC)

This is to certify that in this contest I have operated my transmitter
within the limitations of my license and have observed fully the rules
and regulations of this particular contest.

                                             Signature---- ANDREW H.
LEWIS-16 YEARS OLD

Excuse: My dog ate my log

Soapbox:
I was hoping to have my vanity call by now but it hasn't arrived. I
called right at closing time to the FCC to double check but it hadn't
been issued yet. It was a lot of fun. This is the first year that I have
made a clean sweep although it was close. I needed NNY and then all of a
sudden Sunday night I heard KF2WM on 40m for my sweep. I didn't operate
as much as I had planned because a friend wanted me to go with him to a
Hamfest Sunday morning so I agreed and that ate into the contest. My
parents got mad at me because they told me to go to bed at 05:30z on
Saturday night because they couldn't get to sleep while I was contesting.
So I stayed up an extra 15 minutes and my Mom said I would be grounded if
I didn't get off right then and I made the excuse that "but mom that was
a rare multiplier and 80 is wide open." Needless to say that didn't work
so I was off the air for 11 straight hours because of sleep and the
hamfest the next morning. It was tough Saturday afternoon running QRP on
20 meters. I had to wait until all the high power stations worked
eachother.

I set up shop on 14.187 2 hours before the contest began and called CQ
and had a good little pileup going but right when the contest began a
high powered station started calling "CQ contest" and I tried to tell him
over and over the freq was occupied but he never responded so I was
forced to S&P. When I was running stations it took me a while to get the
exchange written down because I am paper logged so thanks to all the
stations who stuck with me.

I would like to thank all the stations on 80 meters because it took them
sometimes five minutes to get my exchange. I didn't plan to operate 80
because I didn't know my dipole worked on that band with a reasonable
SWR. Thanks to W4AQL, NU2M, N3ADL, N4AF, W4DC, K3MM, K4VX, NY3C, N4ZZ,
and N7DD. Also thanks to all the PVRC members!

                                                    GO PVRC!

                                                    73
                                                   KT4LD-16 YEARS OLD

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com