K1AM SS SSB Score and Comment

Jeff Bouvier k1iu at ids.net
Wed Nov 20 16:37:50 EST 1996

SWEEPSTAKES PHONE SUMMARY SHEET

    Callsign Used : K1AM
         Operator : K1AM

         Category : S/O HP

 Default Exchange : # B K1AM 59 RI

        Team/Club : Yankee Clipper Contest Club

   80SSB     259         259        518      14
   40SSB     290         290        580      22
   20SSB     377         377        754      39
   15SSB     172         172        344       3

 Totals     1098        1098       2196      78

    Final Score = 171288 points.

Soapbox:	This contest went well until about 0300z when it seemed like
I just could not
hear anyone in 1 and 2 land. It appeared that 3 thru 0 land were all working
each other and
we couldn't do anything in the northeast until about 0500z when the skip was
long and short
on 40 and especially 80m. I sort of lost interest when the bands got screwy.
When I got back
on in the morning things were hopping on 80-20m. My interest was renewed and
I operated the
rest of the contest and had fun (well, as much fun as one can expect on ssb).
	    With the help of my good friend Dave, K1MO ex- K1HMO, I put up a
3 ele. ^ wire
beam on 40m, 50' boom and it was much more quiet than the 2 ele. yagi at 100'
so I used that
all weekend. We strung it between 2 trees and now I'm thinking of adding 2
more elements,
that will make it 5 elements on 100' boom. This antenna will come in handy
not only for SS
but almost all RTTY contests if it works as well as I hope it does.
	    As for mults. this weekend, they pretty much came to me except
for VY1JA who I
found after searching 15M for a while. It took the 3 stack to work him though
the pileup as
the band was dropping out in the northeast.
	    It was fun test driving my new call. K1 Alpha Mike is much better
than K1 India
Uniform. Good callsign for tailending. Too bad my heart wasn't in this
contest. Guess I'm
just tired after 5 consecutive weekends of contesting (2 of them RTTY). 3
plaques out of 5
weekends, not bad.
	    See you in the piles this weekend, can't wait. THIS IS THE
BIGGIE! I hope I can
stay awake for most of the contest.
	    73, Jeff Bouvier K1AM  ex-K1IU  k1iu at ids.net

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com