NA2U CQWW CW SO/LP/AB SCORE

Fred W Hoffert cwman at juno.com
Tue Nov 26 06:16:46 EST 1996

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: NA2U                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator
                                               Low Power

      160       18       42     2.33      6      12
       80       54      139     2.57      8      35
       40      153    415     2.71     27      72
       20      370   1071   2.89     25      82
       15      246    693     2.82     23      80
       10       20       49     2.45      5      10

     Totals    861     2409     2.80     94     291  =>  927,465

All reports sent were 599, unless otherwise noted.

Equipment Description:  Icom-765   *** 100 watts ***
                        2-ele. 10/15m quad at 50'
                        3-ele. Force 12 20m yagi at 59'
                        2-ele. Force 12 40m yagi at 65'
                        40/80/160m W9INN dipole, apex at 43'

Club Affiliation: FRANKFORD RADIO CLUB

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               FRED W. HOFFERT, III  NA2U
               64 STILES AVENUE
               MORRIS PLAINS, NJ 07950

This one was a blast particularly with the new callsign!  It's sooooo much nicer to send my call twice in the same time it used to take to send it
once.  Also interesting calling DX the same time as NA2M and AA2U!

Usual slow start on Friday night.  Saturday morning had a great time on 20m.  The new yagi really helped.  Unfortunately, Murphy showed up around
1730z with S7-S9 noise that remained until 0200z.  This killed all chances of working weaker stuff.  Used the noise blanker on the 765 but it's
really bad with so many strong signals across the band.  So most of this
time spent hunting for VERY STRONG multipliers, etc.  Was close to
bagging Saturday very early.  Noise on Sunday morning for about an hour and quiet for most of the remainder.  At least it was only noise.  I'd be
SOL if I blew the rig.  Disappointed show on 40m.  Never could get a run going.  Missed most of the good run time on 15m but 20m was going so
well.

Couldn't believe conditions.  Don't ya just love them sunspots?  Best
prop to JA that I've heard.  20m was exploding with JAs around 2200z on Sunday.   Can't wait for ARRL tests.

The hardware all worked fine.  The new setup with the 20m yagi and the quad, this year's major station improvement, are much much better than the
TA-33 at 50'.

Finally, a congratulatory note to my friend and neighbor, K2SG, for doing
such a great job with low power.

Fred/NA2U
CWMAN...I'D RATHER WORK CW!!!
The ham formerly known as WA0QOA