PI4TUE CQWW CW 1996 SO 15m

Aurelio Bellussi aurelio at esrac.ele.tue.nl
Thu Nov 28 10:25:40 EST 1996

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: PI4TUE=PA3EZL            Country:  Netherlands
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Op 15 meters
                                               ASSISTED

       15      662     1648     2.49     31     106

     Totals    662     1648     2.49     31     106  =>  225,776

Operator List: PA3EZL-Aurelio

Equipment Description:TS850SAT, 400W, 3 el YAGI @75 meters
                      CT logging soft

Short comments:
Since OT6A didn't organise anything for this years WW CW contest I thought
it might be a good idea to activate PI4TUE, the clubstation of the
University of Technology in Eindhoven.  Deciding in what category to enter
was not difficult.  I wanted my beauty sleep so All Band was out of the
question.  10m didn't sound promissing which left me the choice between 20
and 15 m.  Glad I choose 15m, the band were the station has the lowest noise
level on reception.  I started at 09:30 UTC with the beam pointing east.
Mostly Russians were coming in.  No VK's or JA's...  More and more AF mult's
showed up on 15m.  Somehow this time it didn't take long to work them...
Was it the antenna hight  (250 feet), just plain luck, skill or good
propagation...?  While monitoring the US spots (I was connected to an East Coast
cluster) I saw the first EU spots appearing in the US cluster.  I laughed
when 9A1A was spotted as one of the first EU stations with the remark
"DEAF"...  Guess running too much power isn't everything.

I turned the beam (3 el. 3bander) to NA at around 11:45 and soon after that
I started to work the EAST COAST... S2-3... obviously the band was still not
fully awake.  After an hour or two the US signs were all between S1 - S9+20dB.
Around 15:00 UTC I worked the first zone 3 stations... Waw... At 17:00 UTC I
pulled the plug and went home where dinner was waiting: 415 Q's, 26 Zones and
72 countries in the log.

Sunday I arrived an hour later (beauty sleep) and soon after firing up the
station worked my first zone 25 (Japan) and a VK4.  Had trouble with ZM2K
who was very weak... Guess a 5 el Yagi would have made things much easier.
I hunted all the mult's that showed up on the cluster and dialed the VFO
searching for new ones most of the morning hours.  In the afternoon the beam
went west and I worked another bunch of USA. No zone 3 today...  Last mult
was 8P9Z.  I had missed 3DA0NX who decided to QSY to 20m when I came to his
QRG... Why do I have the feeling this happens to me so often...
I closed down at 16:00 UTC:  662 Q's and 106 C's... DXCC in just over 11
hours of operating... not bad.

Hope everyone reading this had as much fun as I.  CU all next time either
from  PI4TUE or OT6A.

73 de Aurelio

*  Aurelio M.M. Bellussi,   PA3EZL/AA2WH                               *
*  E-mail: a.m.m.bellussi at stud.tue.nl OR pa3ezl at esrac.ele.tue.nl       *
*  AX25-mail:  pa3ezl at on5vl.#lg.bel.eu                                 *
*  Eindhoven University of Technology | Maastricht University          *
*  dept. of Medical Electrical Eng.   | dept. of Biofysics/Image Proc. *

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com