K7FR CQWW SSB M/M Score

Gary Nieborsky k7fr at ncw.net
Mon Oct 28 16:56:49 EST 1996

Score:

Call: K7FR                      Country:  United States
Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Multi

      160             7           9               1.29               5
4
       80            35         76               2.17              11
14
       40            73       198               2.71              21
36
       20          387     1085              2.80              33            95
       15          133       362              2.72               18
43
       10               2            6              3.00                1

     Totals    637      1736               2.73              89
193  =>  489,552

OPS: K7FR, KI7YO, W7WMO, N7AUV

Song and dance:

In the spirit of all REAL hams I kept putting off doing antenna and station
work until
absolutely the last minute.  Got the final version of the slopers up
Thursday morning,
just before my neighbor came over to tell us that her husband had just
died.....a real
bummer......only 51.....

Started feeling the effects of the over-seas travel vaccinations that
evening.  Got bopped
in the head by a piece of coax while laying under the run op table......and
discovered I'd
been asleep for 20 minutes hold the coax above my head.  Made Friday a real
scramble
to get everything completed by 0000Z.  Didn't get the second amp on line
until about 0300Z.

Dropped the critter on the floor trying to put it back in its case.  Very
long moment of silence
as we just sort of stared at it laying on the floor at my feet.  Fortunately
the boys at Benton
Harbor had designed ruggedness into it.  Put it together and off it went.

As you can see 15M sucked!  No good JA runs, no EU, no AF and less than
inspiring LU/PY
runs.  There seemed to be a radio curtain that started somewhere in central
Montana.  We could
hear WX0B doing well but K7ABV and N9ITX weren't.  Waiting to see W7RM and
W7WA's scores
to see if it was region-wide.

20M was pretty good.  Knocked off some real good AF stations that are rarely
heard out this way.

I see that the Ricki Lake Show is going to have a segment on "Hams that work
40M SSB and love it".

80 and 160M were total wastes........called and called and called only to
get cq'd in the face.

Dumb HAM tricks.

Hooked up the remote switch box for selecting the sloper direction.  Worked
great!!! could
get 20dB front to back. Made some adjustments and shut the equipment box up
at the
base of the tower.  When we got ready to go hot on 80 I couldn't get the amp
to tune.
Checked the SWR and found that it was infinite!  Went out to the tower,
peered inside the
box........ooops forgot to re-connect the coax to the tuner.......

Dumb HAM tricks II

Started noticing that Bob, N7AUV, wasn't getting much F/B on slopers.  Since
condx sucked
I decided to look at it in the morning.  Well sometime during the 3 hours of
ZZZZZZ's between
0530 pdt and 0830 pdt it came to me what was wrong.  My Dad, W6ROM, had
picked up
this Murch tuner for $5 at a garage sale and let me use it.  I had tuned it
with my RF-1 Friday
morning and all was ok.....(see Dumb HAM tricks I).  Unfortunately the Murch
is the Ultimate
Transmatch design........series capacitor on the input.  The AC for the
remote switch was blocked
from ever getting to the business end.....many hours of trying to work into
the west with a sloper
to the east..........

All in all it was a great tune up for SS and CQWW CW.  I grow more certain
that CW contests
a bunch more fun........

See you from EWA...........

Gary K7FR