KC7V M/S SCORE 1996 CQ SSB TEST

Mike Fulcher kc7v at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 29 04:51:39 EST 1996

This is our 2 man multi-single score.  OPs were KC7V and KY7M.  Comments
listed after the results.

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1996

      Call: KC7V                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      160       13       27     2.31     10      11
       80       26       60     2.31     14      19
       40      310      899     2.90     31      71
       20      527     1192     2.27     34     120
       15      713     1942     2.72     28      80
       10       39      103     2.72     11      17

     Totals   1628     4223     2.60    128     318  =>  1,883,458

Operator List: ______________________________________________________________

Equipment Description: FT1000MP, FT990, ALPHA 86, 76CA
Antennas : 6/6 20m, 7/7/7/7 EU 10m, 4/4/4/4 AS 10m, 4/4/4/4 EU 15m,
6/6 AS 15m, 4 el 40m, 80m sloper, 160 1/4 sloper.

Club Affiliation: Central Arizona DX Association

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Mike Fulcher  KC7V
               6545 E. Montgomery Rd.
               Cave Creek, AZ 85331-3119

Comments:

Murphy was in full force this weekend.  I spent 3 to 4 days every week in
October out of town so did not get much chance to check everything out
before the test.  I flew home from Colombus, OH Friday morning of the test.

The 40 m rotator turned but the readout did not work which meant several
trips each evening outside to check things.  The relays on the 2 el 80 did
not work, which rendered the  beam useless on 75 so tried a sloper with poor
results.  I tried running the 2 el 80 thru a tuner and ended up blowing the
receive fuse in the Alpha 86.  Replaced it and promplty blew another one.
In fact, blew 4 of them before I gave up.  Ended up using it exclusively on
the mult station by throwing the OPR/STBY before each transmission...what a
pain!

Spent the first 30 min of the test trying to get the 2 computer network
running..finally gave up and pulled the trusty laptop out and then it worked
perfectly.  Figured out the problem tonight, after the test of course.

Conditions were decent here in Phoenix.  We started out on 15 with a decent
JA run.  Not much EU on 40m the first night, so we just looked for mults.
Sat morning brought us a few Europeans but no good runs.  Most of the day
spent hunting and pecking on 10, 15 and 20.  15 opened up to JA around 2230
or so and things took off.  One hour was over 160 qsos to JA, reminded me of
better days.  We ran off nearly 400 JA qsos over 3 hours or so on Sat evening.

40 was much better Sat. night and our country totals went up with several EU
in the log and some Africans.  Our best catch was early Sun morning when
the XY made it into our log.  HS1AZ was a good catch on 40 also.

20 was great into EU on Sunday.  Lots of loud  sigs.  We tried running, but
could not get much going even with good conditions.  Boy was the band
crowded though.  Again we looked for mults and just plain qsos all day
Sunday.  The last 2 plus hours gave us another great run at JA to close the
contest.

Gotta work out more of the bugs in the multi set-up here for the future!

See you all in sscw I hope and from 5V for the CQWW CW test!

Mike
KC7V
                         Mike Fulcher KC7V
                     One of the "VOO-DUDES"