[3830] K4RO SSB NAQP Score SO

K4RO Kirk Pickering k4ro at music-city.tdec.state.tn.us
Sun Aug 17 16:41:33 EDT 1997

 NA QSO SUMMARY SHEET      Contest Dates : 16-Aug-97, 17-Aug-97

 Callsign Used : K4RO      Operator : K4RO      Default Exchange : KIRK TN

 Team/Club : Tennessee Contest Group - Team #1    Category : Single Op

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults      IC-761 + 75A-4 rx
 __________________________________________________   TR-Log 6.05

  160SSB       2           2          1       2       1/4 wave sloping GP
   80SSB      14          14         14       8       half sloper @ 70'
   40SSB     132         130        130      36       boom of PRO-57A
   20SSB     207         200        200      40       PRO-57A @ 98'
   15SSB      60          59         59      15        "      "
   10SSB      58          57         57      12        "      "

 Totals      473         462        461     113

    Final Score = 52,093 points.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

This was my second attempt at a phone contest, and my first attempt at
using a voice keyer (DVP.)

I actually felt that the DVP hurt me at times, mainly because I was
using it inappropriately.  I would have probably been better off just
using it to CQ when my voice got tired.  Using it during the exchange
often messed up my rhythm, and I'm sure my runs diminished as a result.
I felt like my rate was higher & my rhythm smoother w/o the DVP in the
January SSB NAQP.  Guess I need to learn how to use one properly.

I did some moving of multipliers to other bands, and it often worked.
Especially moving east coast stations between 40, 20 and 15.

Highlights: working two KL7 stations in a row, and they were both
mobiles.  Also worked a bicycle mobile station.  There was a pretty
decent opening to the northeast on 10 meters which was nice.  I might
not have found it without the 75A-4.  Ten sounded fairly lifeless until
I heard K0EJ up there working guys while I was running on 15m.  Figured
what's good enough for Mark is good enough for me, so I left my 15m run
and headed for ten.  Sure enough, it was a decent opening.

Lowlights:  The low bands were horrible.  Worst I've ever heard in my
three year contest career.  I really should have spent more time on 80,
and made my biggest mistake there.  Should have at least struggled for
a decent mutilplier count.  I just could not hear folks and they could
not hear me.  So I kept returning to 20 to work the west.  Eighty is
usually one of my strongest bands, but not this time.  In addition, my
antennas are all cut for CW, and don't perform as well on phone.  Used
the IC-761 internal tuner throughout the contest.  Never need it on CW.

Another thing I keep learning over & over is that it's important to
be flexible.  If a band isn't producing or propagation isn't meeting
my expectations, I need to adapt quickly and try other things.

Thanks for QSOs everyone.
                           -Kirk  K4RO

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com