[3830] AA4LR NAQP Phone

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at radio.org
Mon Aug 18 13:12:33 EDT 1997

North American QSO Party Summer 1997

Date: 8/16/97-8/17/97  Call: AA4LR  State: GA

     Band         QSOs       Mults
     160SSB         0          0
      80SSB        20         10
      40SSB        64         29
      20SSB        97         35
      15SSB        15          6
      10SSB         0          0

Total             196         80     Score:     15,680
Hours: 9

Team: South East Contest Club

Equipment:
Kenwood TS430S with output of 70-85 Watts PEP
Cushcraft R7000 at 8 feet
125 foot doublet at 15 feet

Comments:

Contest started off fairly well. Unfortunately, unbelievably high noise
levels on 80m and 40m made for very slim pickings on those bands. It was
easier working 80m at 7:30 pm local than later at night! Heard almost NO
ONE on 80m, not even pig farmers. After two hours of rate 11, the last
hour was looking like 6, so I quit about 20 minutes early. No antennas
for 160m, but I heard KF9YT and AA4NC down there calling CQ, but not
making Qs.

Worked two guys in the NJ QSO Party. Never heard a peep on 10m. Never
heard any of my teammates, although I did hear W4AN on 15m backscatter at
the start of the contest.

Even so, this is a personal best for this contest, my first full effort
on phone. I really like the NAQP.

Had problems with Telephone RFI. I gave one neighbor a K-Com filter, but
my wife told me she and others also had problems. I believe the doublet
causes RFI in my house, and the R7000 with my neighbor.

Looks like I may be relegated to CW contests only unless I can solve the
problem.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com