[3830] W7VJ CQWW CW M/S

Andrew Isar hcgi at nwlink.com
Thu Dec 4 17:04:06 EST 1997

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: W7VJ                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single

      160       16       35     2.19      9      11
       80      101      247     2.45     20      40
       40      600     1748     2.91     30      77
       20      529     1476     2.79     33      89
       15      276      764     2.77     29      67
       10       79      188     2.38     19      33

     Totals   1601     4458     2.78    140     317  =>  2,037,306

Operators:  AA7CQ, W7VJ

Observations:

I felt quite good about our "fun" 45 hour M/S until I began seeing the W6 scores.  Used only 1 radio and two megaclusters.  Would like to believe that the lower score was due in part to the propagationally challenged northwest.  Nevertheless, more metal will be going up next year to improve station performance and a second rig is on the horizon in the hopes of improving operator (W7VJ's) performance.

As others have noted, and the scores reflect, 40 was exceptional.  The old European runs we experienced many years ago were back on 20 and it was finally possible for us to work Europe consistantly on 15 -- my thanks to the disciplined European operators for a fine job.  15 did not meet my expectations for propagation to Asia, although we faired relatively well to Japan. 10 showed signs of life, but the SSB WW seemed to have seen better 10m conditions somehow.

The east coast scores continue to amaze me.  I can only imagine how much fun it must be to continually run, instead of hitting our own 03 to 07 UTC "black hole".  But as someone once told me, if you want better propagation, you've gotta move.  I love contesting, but think I will accept my sub 10 Qs per hour during the slow times and stay here.

73 to all,

Andrew, W7VJ

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com