[3830] N5ZC - 160 SCORE

Richard Thorne rthorne at arn.net
Sun Dec 7 10:16:27 EST 1997

--------------C9CE31D4344416F5965F7FEC

Richard Thorne - N5ZC
Amarillo, TX

--------------C9CE31D4344416F5965F7FEC

                     ARRL 160 METER CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: N5ZC                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator High Power

               QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/QSO    SECTIONS  COUNTRIES

     Totals    354     720     2.03         65          3    =   48,960

Equipment Description:  FT-1000MP
                        Amp Supply LK-500zc
                        Inverted L (55' Vertical, 85' angled down)
                        Laptop running CT

 The Story:

 Had a great time in this contest as it was the first time I operated 160
 in a very long time.

 I put the antenna up at 21:00z.  I went to Lowes and bought 140' of 14g
 stranded electrical wire.  I pulled the wire up about so 55' of it was
 vertical and only a few inches from the tower.  The remaining 85' was
 pulled away from the tower and tied off about  150' away from the tower.
 So it was definitely not horizontal.  I would guess it was at a 50degree
 angle.

 I hooked the end to a piece of coax.  The radial system I used was an 80
 meter dipole.  I shorted a pl-259 and connected it to the ground side of my
 feed line.  So basically I was using two 65' radials.

 All this on top of my office building which has a concrete roof with lots
 of rebar in it I'm sure.  The roof is 15' high.

 I went into my shack turned on the 1000mp and unbelievalbe, I had a 1.5:1
 swr.  I did not have to trim the antenna or use the 500pf cap I had planned
 on using.  So the whole project took all of 30 minutes to complete.  Most
 of the time was untangling the 140' of wire, HI.

 The antenna worked great on transmitt.  I worked anyone I heard with 1 or
 2 calls (normally on the first one).  I worked 3 countries, P40P, XE1DU and
 3E something (panama).  Receive was a totally different story.  I felt like
 an alligator when CQing.  I heard lots of guys calling but could not pull
 them through due to the qrn.  I appoligize to those that I could not hear.
 I definitely will need to put up some sort of receiving antenna next year.
 I believe my score would have at least doubled if I could hear.

 Thats about it from here.  By the way the dx window was very clear except
 for the dx that was suppose to be there.  Not sure how it was on the east/
 west coast but it was clear here.

 73 and see you in the 10 meter contest this weekend.

--------------C9CE31D4344416F5965F7FEC--

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com