[3830] WI9WI WWCW SO HP Unassisted

JHFitzJr JHFitzJr at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 22:31:33 EST 1997

1997 CQ WW CW Contest
Station: WI9WI
QTH: Winter, WIsconsin
Operator: WI9WI
Category: SO HP Unassisted (and no I didn't cheat by using packet - I don't
even have a modem)

QSOs     1325
Zones       106
Countries  285
Score      1,433,406

Band       QSOs     Zones     Countries
160             21          6              10
 80              34          8              24
 40             143        23              68
 20             702        28              79
 15             371        27              77
 10              54         14              27

Gear: IC-765, AL-82 1000 Watts out. 160- 42 ft vertical: 80 - 42 ft vertical,
dipole at 80 ft; 40 - CC 2 el at 95 ft; 20 - 204BAs at 100 ft/ 60 ft phased ;
15 - 155BA at 60 ft ;
10 - 6 el LTA at 55 ft. Plus an A-3 at 35 ft fixed SE, 3 short beverages S, W,
E.

Comments and excuses: 160- noisy, could hear Eu, but not work them. 80 -
fairly quiet, could work some louder Eu, usually I get 30 - 40 countries out
of this one, a disappointment. 40 - could work almost anything I heard, but
could not run - usually I can run Eu for an hour or 2 in the early evening -
multiplier total about as expected. 20 - my best antennas and my best band
overall, can run well here. 15 - nice surprise, open worldwide from here - ran
well on Sun. 10 - a surprise - I didn't check soon enough or often enough
either day and obviously missed some openings. Overall my best QSO total and
score ever in this one. I can do better by planning better, trying different
things when my runs slow down, and trying to avoid brain lock. Am already
looking forward to next year.

73

Jim WI9WI
jhfitzjr at aol.com