DL4YAO ARRL CW Single Band 40m HP

Christoph Rheker christor at microsoft.com
Sun Feb 16 23:43:33 EST 1997

Single Op 40m High Power

QSO   Mults   Score
210   40      25200

Comments:

Saturday afternoon started with a good LP opening to W6/W7/W0 from 15z
16.30z.
Best signals from the west were KC7V, N6RO, W7VJ, K6SG ( all 589) and
W0UN, KC6CNV (all 579).
The loudest was W7GG from Oregon with a real 599+, his signal was
impressive. I think
he started in the "don't need to spent more money on antenna"
category...

So I dediced to start some CQ's and more W6/W7 came back to me. It
seems, the antenna improvement
was worth the money & work.

Later during the night the usual S9++ signals from the US East. From the
west coast K6OZL had
a solid signal. Around 02z time, most signals lost field strength, even
W3LPL, N2RM, N3RS
lost a few S-units. The guys in the US south (FLA, TX etc...) stayed
strong for one more
hour before the band became quiet. Beeing in the US south was an
advantage I think, worked
many W5's but only a few W0's.

RIG:
TS-870S, Commander HF1250 @ 500 Watts out, 2el phased verticals
homemade.
Having the 2el was a nice improvement compared to the single vertical I
used
in the CQWW's last year. Less QRM and easier to work the weak stations.

73,
Chris DL4YAO

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com