[3830] N5JA CQ 160 SSB SOHP score

Jon Barclay N5JA N5JA at dayton.akorn.net
Thu Feb 27 13:40:31 EST 1997

N5JA  1997 CQWW 160 Phone contest entry, Single-Operator, High Power

CALL                HRS         SCORE     QS0'S     PTS   SECTS    DX

N5JA                30        336,590      1333    3470     57     40

Yaesu FT1000D transceiver
Alpha 89 amplifier
165' shunt-fed tower
Six 2-wire Beverage receive antennas 800' to 1550' long

Thanks for all the QSOs in the contest!  Sorry I wasn't able to give
WB9Z and W4WA more competition, but congrats on the great scores.
Maybe next time :-)

It's always great to get on and work all the familiar calls.  Not
quite like a reunion, but sorta the same feeling.  It's especially
fun to get to hear the voices of lots of guys you work time and
again on CW, and I'm often surprised when the voice that comes back
doesn't match my mental picture.  Also nice be able to chat a few
words during the daylight.

I especially appreciate the effort that several went to to work me.
I hate to list any for fear or leaving anyone out, but several guys
knew they were multipliers for me and hung in there 'till we made the
QSO, including H44MS, P29VXX, VY1JA, CU2CE, OY5JD, ZL2SQ, VK3ZL, plus
many others.  I wasn't hearing particularly well toward Caribbean and
South America, nor really toward VK/ZL, so many thanks to you guys
that stayed with me.  Almost all the EU QSOs were difficult because
of the QRM to the northeast from here in Texas, although around 0700Z
the first night F5LQ, F6BKI, and GW4VEQ had crushing signals!  Other
G stations, plus DL, EA, ON, CT, LX and GI weren't shabby either.
It's incredible that these guys can get over the QRM at all!  ZL2JR
called in the second night with a great signal, as did VK3EW, making
me think things were improving to the SW, but it didn't last long.

Don, KH8/N5OLS came by and visited several times, and was nice copy
here for several hours the first night, and for a somewhat briefer
period the second night.

Next year I promise to hear you guys better!  I'm going to figure
out why certain directions don't work all that well, and hopefully
you guys in Africa, as well as the Caribbean and SA (an VK/ZL)
won't have such a hard time getting me to hear you.  Thanks again
for your patience and tenacity, see you next time around.

Very 73,
Jon

--
Jon A. Barclay  N5JA  (ex-AA5BL)
N5JA at contesting.com

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com
Sponsored by:             N4VJ / K4AAA, KM3T, N5KO & AD1C