AE0M NAQP Jan 97 SSB score and story

Tony and Celia Becker becker at sprintmail.com
Sun Jan 26 11:59:32 EST 1997

                              NA QSO SSB SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 18-Jan-97, 19-Jan-97
    Callsign Used : AE0M
         Operator : AE0M
         Category : SOAB
             Time : 5:40 hrs
 Default Exchange : TONY CA
              RIG : FT-990, and 486DX2-66 MHz running TRLog v 5.95

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults       Antenna

   40SSB      36          36         36      23   40m Inv. Vee @ 20'
   20SSB      99          98         98      35   20m Inv. Vee @ 24'
   15SSB      65          65         65      17   15m Vert Loop @ 16'
   10SSB       2           2          2       1   10m Vert Dipole @ 16'

 Totals      202         201        201      76

    Final Score = 15276 points.

QXQ:  I missed the CW due to business in Chicago so I was anxious to get a
contest fix and to  try out the new antennas for 15 and 10m.  Morning
errands took longer than expected and I got a late start at 1845Z.

I started on 20 S&P and got the 10 min. rate up to 84 at 1858Z.  I switched
to 15m at 1918Z and my best hour was 46 Qs ending at 1948Z.  This would be
better if I could CQ.  Two EMI complaints from neighbors caused an
unscheduled 48 min. offtime at 2000Z.  One of these is a BoD member, and has
taken the position that "we should not have to do anything to our equipment"
despite repeated offers of my help and free ferrite and filters.

<Verbose notes on EMI complaints snipped>

Regular readers will recall my HOA BoD has threatened me with a lawsuit for
"rendering my neighbors televisions and telephones non-functional".  Neither
my attorney (a ham and former staff attorney at the SF FCC office) nor I can
imagine the rest of the HOA BoD agreeing to spend thousands of homeowners
dollars on a lawsuit when three of my immediate neighbors have solved the
problem and the other three are just too stubborn to accept their
responsibility to fix their equipment.  I just keep saying I'll give them
the $50.00 worth of ferrite and help install it if they will allow it.

I went back to 40m, but the distraction of the complaints and the fact that
it was only an SSB contest caused me to lose interest after only 6 hours.

See you all in the NA Sprint, a CW contest I can really get my teeth into.

AE0M, Tony Becker - becker at sprintmail.com - Silicon Valley, U.S.A.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com