[3830] KM0L wpx ssb score

Stephen C Lufcy km0l at unix.tfs.net
Mon Mar 31 09:17:21 EST 1997

call     hrs      score        q's      points     prefix's
----   ----------------------------------------------------
KM0L     34       709,31      1,219      1,532       463

           CQ World Wide WPX Contest SSB 1997

call: KM0L
mode: ssb
class: Single-op, High Power, All Band (no packet)
       Tribander and single elements(wires)
Country: USA (MO)
op: KM0L

band     Q's    pts    pts/Q    pfx's
--------------------------------------
160        9     20     2.2       4      inv L (up 60' out 65')
 75      176    170     1.0      40      inv V at 60'
 40      243    422     1.7      94      rotatable dipole at 65'
 20      720    723     1.0     308      A4 at 65'
 15       61    167     2.7      16       "
 10       10     30     3.0       1       "
--------------------------------------
totals  1219   1532     1.3     463   =>  709,316

rig: TS-940s, TL-922A
     386 PC with CT 7.06

soap: When I got my call in 1981 I felt like it was a vanity call, after
holding WB0LFY for years. Appears a lot of wpxers are glad I held onto it.
I got a new Heil headset, HC-4, and found that ssb isn't so bad if you
can be heard and understood. It made all the difference. I had best hours
I've ever had from my own station at first of contest- last ten meter at
205 to 210 for most of hour and last 100 over 150. Neat, unfortunately
they were almost all ZERO pointers. I should get an award for working all
N1's- musta worked a million of them. This was after 20 died Friday
evening and 40 just would not open to Europe. I spent the rest of the
weekend trying to bring the point per Q ratio back up.
I believe I would vote for the 1 point for same country contact since it
is great fun to run the guys but not very productive so it really loses
something for me to not be able to run. This weekend I ended up with a
good Q total for me, but just no points.
Highlites: the KH6's coming in longpath on 15 all weekend and running
rate, although 0 pointers, on 40 and 75.
Lowlites: No good European opening on 40 until Sunday eve, 30 min before
the end of contest. Never did get a really good European opening on 20
either day. Missed a lot of prefixex. Also no good JA opening anywhere.
So, maybe I'll work more ssb now- but will be more serious about the cw test.
73 es CU in CW in May (wish it were in April),
Steve KM0L

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com