[3830] Wo4o SO/AB/LP WPX SSB

Ric Painter Ric.Painter at 12.collage.net
Mon Mar 31 12:02:55 EST 1997

                 CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: Wo4o                     Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator
      On:   34 Hours                           LOW Power 100w

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES  ANTENNAS
      160        1        0   0.0        0    T
       80       91       80   0.9       52    Inv Vee
       40       87      220   2.5       49    Inv Vee/Half Sq.
       20      292      545   1.9      194    TA33
       15      108      248   2.3       36    TA33
       10       63      164   2.6       26    TA33
     Totals    642     1257   2.0      357  =   448,749

Equipment Description:  Kenwood 450S/AT barefoot.

QRM:  My second SO/AB/LP WPX SSB Reunion.  What better way to
celebrate Easter but with death, burial, resurrection and
ascension all in one weekend?  In a strange way I seemed to
experience it all in this contest--and I don't mean to be
sacrilegious.  Then, to top off the event, I watched "Touched
By An Angel" and "The Walton Reunion" on the boobtube and
Hale-Bopp in the Heavenlies.  What a weekend!  It was another
slow start, however, as more Zaps and Crashes from severe
weather interferred early on.  A dazzling audio-visual show
from up above with frequent and intense discharges.  Sure was a
challenge to the Time On/Off strategy when shutting down the
station so often--and I think some major mistakes were made.
Timing was also critical when trying to copy between S9+20
static crashes.  Rain static played it's role and took its
toll, too.  Lost 2 hours around Easter Sunrise from oversleeping.
(Good thing Jesus didn't oversleep!)  20m was very dissapointing.
In spite of all beyond my control and, perhaps, at the expense of
being less competitive, I made this more FUN for myself by
playing around on 10m, ragchewing with Floridians and some locals.
Working ZL1ANO on 10m Easter afternoon was a delightful surprise!
Strange to work EM1HO on 21 MHz Sunday @1716Z while beaming 135
degrees working South Americans.  Was this really in the Ukraine?
Those who Duped me got their original Serial Number.  Is that okay?
Was propagation better this year?  To quote John Boy: "Heck No."
36% of my Qs are ZERO pointers.  9% are TOTALLY WORTHLESS to me
(no offense intended to those stateside who needed the Wo4 PFX).
New Call Sign + More Qs + More Ms = Less Score (makes sense to me!)

Club Affiliation: TENNESSEE CONTEST GROUP

73  Wo4o  < Ric.Painter at 12.collage.isdn.net >   Ridgetop, TN

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com