[3830] Re: Texas QSO Party

Jim George, N3BB N3BB at easy.com
Mon May 12 07:09:46 EDT 1997

Thanks for the help, George.

Following is a summary of the Texas QSO Party operation from N3BB/5.
Thanks to K5TR for the logcrunch as the two computers got out of synch when
one got short on memory, plus George had to get the Texas mobiles (there
were not that many worked here) sorted out such that the counties were
counted properly. This was a shakedown for TQP support by TR-Log, and all
worked pretty well.  We had to get used to the fact that with the large
number of counties plus states, some of the usual letter abbreviations were
not OK-like WISC being required for Wisconsin, since we have a Wise county.
Thus there are more letters required for some states/counties that usual.
Plus "MI" was not in the file for Michigan!  But the glitches were few and
were all fixed.  In addition, it was the first Multi oparation from the new
shack here.  Hopefully this is the start of much more activity from here.

We didn't really push ourselves, and missed some prime mult times (like
Saturday AM as I didn't get going till 9:30 AM local.  But it was a
shakedown for the station on both modes in an M/S type operation.  The
top-ten decoder system worked well, and the Dunestar 6-band bandpass
filters allowed us to operate mostly interference free on bands with close
antennas.  On Sunday, the main 20 meter run station never did leave 14252
after we got on freq following the QRT by the roundtable there.  Condx were
pretty flat.  With 15 and 10 not open much, 20 was the infinite well.  The
5/5 stack seems to work well.

Thanks to K5NA, K5DU, AB5EU, AB5EB, WD5N, N5LT, and K5TR for the operating
help, and to K5TR for the systems support and post-contest help.

73, Jim N3BB

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com