[3830] EA8/DL6MHW in CQWW SSB 97: summary, www-page, and story

Michael Hoeding hoeding at iti.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Nov 4 15:21:52 EST 1997

Hi dear fellow contesters,

just back from our contest oriented vacation on the Canary Island
Tenerifa we like to present a short summary of the DXpeditions results.

For more information and for email qsl-request please check:
  http://wwwiti.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~hoeding/wwdx_main.html

This is our raw score for CQWW:
                   CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1997

      Call: EA8/DL6MHW               Country:  Canary Is.
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Multi Single

      160       23       64     2.78      4      23
       80      108      314     2.91      8      37
       40      593     1771     2.99     15      57
       20      645     1911     2.96     20      78
       15      907     2702     2.98     21      67
       10     1163     3470     2.98     21      77

     Totals   3439    10232     2.98     89     339  =>  4,379,296

Operator List: DL6MHW, DL3ABL

Equipment Description:
Kenwood TS140S + Ameritron AL811HX
IC706 - Barefood
2 x 39 m inverted V dipol for 160, 80
Butternut HF6V vertival for 80, 40, 20, 15, 10
3-ele-Yagi for 10m

Club Affiliation: Bavarian Conntest Club

                             Signature __Michael Hoeding, DL6MHW__

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               M. Hoeding  EA8/DL6MHW
               Bruno-Taut-Ring 56
               Magdeburg, EA8 D-39130

Some comments,

our EA8-Trip was again a two person DXpedition, and probably one of the
smallest entries in the multi single category of the WWDX. However with
85 kg flight baggage we reach our maximum of equipment. We are sure more
equipment is only possible with a bigger team or a serious amount of
money and would delay the also quite important holiday activities.

We arrived in Puerto de la Cruz on the north coast of Tenerife Island
late Friday evening the 17th October. Our hotel was situated one mile
west of the city center on about 80 meter high cliffs with a wonderful
shot to Europe and North America. Next Saturday morning we set up the
Butternut antenna in out corner of the hotel roof. Unfortunately we
could only install one radial for 80 and two for forty due to the space
restrictions. The other bands had 3 or 4 radials. However, the antenna
performed very well.

During the weekend we took part in the Worked All Germany contest,
managing 650 odd QSOs as EA8/DL6MHW. The lower band did not produce good
rates during the night so we decided to sleep some hours after working
the majority of the multipliers on 80 and 40.

After the contest we relaxed and took a look around the island. Tenerife
is a quite beautiful island many impressive countryside. You will find
there high volcanos (Teide, the highest mountain in Spain with about
3700 m), mountains, cliffs, and green nature. The clime is warm but not
hot, especially on the green north coast of the island.

During the week we solved the problem of a power-supply for our
multiplier station. It was really impossible to find a used care battery
in Puerto de la Cruz. Moreover nobody in the car shops wants to rent us
a battery for 3 days. therefore we had to by one for about 50 $.

On Friday we start to set up the other antennas and the station. We
install the 160m Dipol from the hotel roof down to the coast line, and
area which can reached only be climbing true the rocks. The we set up
the small 10m-Yagi on the roof of the hotel. Our tower was a 2 m long
bamboo pole connected tied with rubber band... obviously the "rotator"
was one of us. The forth antenna was an vertical dipol for 20m, mounted
on a fishing rod.
Then we set up the stations in our appartement. The Run station, already
tested in WAG-Contest was reasonable equipped with an Ameritron PA
producing about 700 Watts. Moreover we had an MFJ voice keyer, very
useful if the rate is low and you like the eat or drunk something.
Logging was done with a pentium notebook computer.
The multi station was very small: a barefood Icom 706. To avoid
interferences from the Run we used an BCC preselector.

Before the contest we took some hours of sleep and started at 0000UTC on
40m with the Run and on  160 with the 100 Watt multiplier station. It
was terrible to work on the small 60 kc segment on 40m. However split
and concentration to North America brought about 100 Qs in the first
hour. The rest of the night was not to bad. The mult station collected
some multis on 80 and 160 but it was always really difficult to declare
our very long callsign.

Short before sunrise we change the run to 20 and get a good opening to
North America. The teh EU cames in and some other DX call in. After the
qrm on 20 was to strong for our only-600Watts-without-beam signal we
went to 15 m and get again nice rates. We observed the condition on 10
and when then band opend we changed to 10 (1030UTC). However, it was to
early. Rates were not so high, only east and south european calls were
logged. Fortunately we god also some DX, e.g. a double Mult by YB1AQS
(tnx). Then (1130) ten opens to Europe an later to North america and we
had very nice pile ups. At 1257 UTC we had 1000 QSOs in the log of the
run station. After ten was closed we went again to 15 working some EUs,
unbeleavable US stations and some DX. After a bad hour on 20 we changed
to 40 - running again North America. Also 80 brought good pile ups two
EU and NA - very good for a sigle radial vertical, only 8 m tall. In the
morning things were quit slow on 20. We logged 3 VKs - unfortunaltely
from the same zone. However teh band opend and teh rate were rising as
well as the QRM. On 15 it was nearly the same. At 11 UTC we were back on
our beam band 10 and had agein wonderful pile-ups. About at 1530 UTC we
dicided to go to 15 because we had to work some multipliers. Good
signals from south america motivated us to ga agein to 10 and turn the
antenna in this direction. We earned again string pile-ups from state
side. Obviously the Antenne was cross-eyed because the liitle hight and
the metal on the roof. After the run we went back to 15, 20, and then to
40. The rates were low and we made again a try on 20, working 110 Ws in
the last hour.

On Monday we put down the antennas and went back to holidays.

We are very happy about the result which was our first serious start in
the CQWW-DX. We thing the score is quite good for our 2 person team.
Other limitations were the small multiplier station and the too long
callsign. Especially the mult station often needs a long long time to
bring the difficult callsign to the other side. With a shorter call we
could have worked about 50 percent more mults with the mult station. An
other problem were interference between the station - the antennas were
definitively to closed.
However, we made also some mistakes which shows some low rate hours as
well as the low number of multipliers. Considering the problems with
then multiplier station we had to search and pounce more times as done.
Maybe we do it better in one, two or ten years.

Thank you for working us during the contest or for reading this report.
More information, some photos (in the end of the week)  and the
possibility of e-mail QSL-Request  you can find under
  http://wwwiti.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~hoeding/wwdx_main.html

73 de Michael, DL6MHW  &   Andrea, DL3ABL

Michael Hoeding
University of Magdeburg
Institute for Technical Information Systems
P.O. Box 4120, D-39016 Magdeburg, Germany
Tel:    ++49-391-67-12220
Fax:    ++49-391-67-12020
E-mail: hoeding at iti.cs.uni-magdeburg.de

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com