[3830] K4IQ SOHP Fone SS

John Mitchell jbmitch at vt.edu
Tue Nov 18 02:36:42 EST 1997

In summary:

Exch. B K4IQ 77 VA
Class:  SOHP unassisted
Affiliation: PVRC

953 q's X 79 mults. = 150,574 X 19 hours

Band    Q's
80      490
40      330
20      71
15      62

Equipment:

TS-870, AL-1500
80M 2 el. wire beam pointing straight up, 40M Force 12 single element at
55', 20M 3 el yagi @ 48', 15M 3 el yagi @ 30' fixed west.  Beverages @ 60,
100, 290 deg.

A fun contest, not as hard on me as two weeks ago in CW (all in all, I think
I would rather fall asleep hearing disembodied voices bouncing around my
cranium than imagining the furnace blower is sending K4IQ de VY1JA).  Low
bands were best, and couldn't get any runs going on 20 or 15, so just hunted
mults.  My friend Jack, K4VV had a good run on 20 with a wire dipole, so
maybe wire is better, sometimes. Thought I'd never get a KL7, but finally
found KL7FH on twenty for the sweep.  Also had trouble finding VE7, then
quickly worked two more...

Beverages really helped on 75, often making the difference between Q5 and Q1
copy - no surprise there.  Many thanks to Yuri, K3BU for his simple,
effective mod to give the 870 a switchable beverage input!

All xmit antennas are mounted on and around the house, so TVI is murder.
Should have the real tower up next year (on the hill top, a long hard line
run away), so maybe won't have to spend $$$ on hotel with tv's that work for
xyl and kids next year.

73 to all,
John K4IQ

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com