[3830] N2IC/0 Single-Op/Unassisted

LondonS smlondon at lucent.com
Mon Oct 27 07:56:58 EST 1997

N2IC/0 - Single-op, Unassisted

Band   QSO   Countries  Zones

160     15      12        8
 80     75      45       19   <---- 1 EU QSO !
 40    314      55       24   <---- less than 5 EU QSO's !
 20    683     105       33
 15    516      95       30
 10    177      56       19

      1780     368      133   ------>  2,477,946 points

In case you didn't catch the news, the eastern half of Colorado had a blizzard
over the weekend - 50 MPH wind and over 2 feet (6 meters) of snow (with drifts
over 6 feet (18 meters)). I quit the contest at 0230Z Friday night when snow
static pinned the S-meter on all bands.  Went to sleep, and woke up at 0700Z
with 40 relatively quiet.  Nice 40 meter JA run Friday night/Saturday AM, and
managed to pick up 40 countries on 80 with the 2nd radio.  By dawn Saturday,
the KT-34XA stack was encased in snow/ice.  Seemed to work ok on 20, but it was
a dummy load on 15. Saturday was not fun - I was very frustrated trying to
break African pileups on 15.  No runnable EU on 20 all day Saturday, and no 15
meter JA opening on Saturday.  Saturday night was a joke - all of the beverages
were underneath the snow, and the static crash level was amazing.  Slept 6
hours for lack of anything better to do.  Sunday was better - had a 1 hour EU
run on 20 while waiting for 15 to open.  15 finally did open marginally to EU,
with several hours of loud EA stations, and short openings (< 15 minutes) to
the remainder of western EU.  Nothing heard on 15 from eastern EU, except the
Balkan countries.  W1GD kept stopping by telling me how well 10 meters was
playing to EU - nothing here until after 1800Z when I worked very weak CT, EA
and F.  Great 10 meter condx to LU/PY - the increase in activity from South
America is fantastic !  The last 2 hours of the contest were a blast - 15
opened to JA, resulting in my best hour of the contest at 22Z Sunday (130
QSO's).

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com