[3830] K8DX 20M SSB HP

K8DX, Scott Detloff ni8l at raex.com
Mon Oct 27 11:08:21 EST 1997

                     CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1997

      Call: K8DX                       Country:  United States
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator HP

     Totals   1590     4374    2.75     37     142  =>  774,198  36HR

Antennas: 5/5/5  50/100/150 48'booms
Radio:    FT1000-MP
Amp:      Homebrew

I was finally ready for this one and didn't spend hours on the tower
the day of the contest.  The rotators were marked, computer and DVP
ready to go, and the amplifier and radio pre-tested with lots of
"practice" on 20M's running Europeans.

Hit a wall Saturday morning, not ever having a chance to figure out
how the filters work on the FT1000-MP.  Nearby stations were 59+20,
and asked for lots of repeats.  At one point almost pulled out the
'MP and put the '940 back in.  Did some reading Saturday night and
figured out how everything worked.  With some advance ideas on how
the filtering worked might have had another 200+ Q's! Although I
still like the sound of my '940, the 'MP is growing on me.  Being
able to listen in two places at the same time was great too.

Talking to locals after the contest, was really upset that I had
missed alot of mults that were on (ET, JW, BY, 5Z, VP8, 5H,
P29, V4, HH)  But did have some great stuff call in (D44, A22, 9U5,
VR97, 4S7, 3V8, 7Q7, YB0, 9J2, V8, HL, 9M8, 5X, TT8, 7P8, Z2, D2,
FK, V5, CE0)  Seemed like there were lots less BIG pileups this year
with more of the mults calling in, but the freq fights were WAY up!

Looking forward to CW!

Scott K8DX

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com