[3830] KZ5MM SOSB 10 HP

Chuck Dietz dietz at texas.net
Mon Oct 27 22:24:46 EST 1997

KZ5MM SOSB 10 meters HP

QSO   QSO PTS   PTS/QSO   ZONES   COUNTRIES   TOTAL PTS

648    1657      2.56      29        106    =   223,695

Hey!  Ten meters is comin' back strong!

I have heard about some really strong first hours on 10, but mine was
only 72 qso's. However with 36 JA's, 8 VK's plus 1 VK8, 3 KH6's, 2
FK8's, 2 P29's, FO, C21, and FW included, I thought this would be a good
contest.

I computer designed a 6 el 10 meter beam with YO and stuck it up at 75
feet here at my new QTH in the country.  It seemed to do well, but there
were several times I wished it were higher.

Things died out at 0112 the first night with a NH7A and reopened at 1132
with ZD8Z, but the next Q was not for 27 more minutes when ZS6P came
through.  I did more hunting and pouncing than I usually would because
stateside was in a lot and, with my new call KZ5MM, I was getting
pileups of stateside stations asking for my QSL manager!

The last Q on Sat night was at 0049 with a LU and resumed Sun at 1254
with another LU.  On sun at 2240 I forced myself to turn away from the
sometimes JA run and CQ northeast into a blank band hoping for that
polar European opening.  I had an OH at 1731 and 3 more OH's at 1843 so
I thought it was possible.  I told myself I would stay there for 10
minutes which was agony, however, eight minutes into that eternity I was
rewarded with SL3ZV.

My last Q Sun nite was a mult at 2333 when YB1XUR called in.  Even
though the run died out a little before the end of the contest, I had 4
mults in the last hour of the contest: VR6, DU, 9M6 and YB.

Who says you can't have fun with a one tower station!  More towers to
follow-bases are poured.

Continent    QSO's    PERCENT

    NA        158       23.7
    SA        247       37.0