[3830] WB4HFL Score CQWW SSB SOLP 10M

henrypol2 at juno.com henrypol2 at juno.com
Tue Oct 28 21:08:09 EST 1997

Call: WB4HFL  (single op, low power, single band (10), unassisted)
Hrs: 15
Score: 36,082
QSOs: 182
QSO Points: 494
Countries: 54
Zones: 19
Club affiliation: PVRC

Wow! Ten was much better than the last several years.  Amazingly, even
worked 4 new countries for DXCC.  This was my best effort since the 92
contest; plus have newer rig and antennas, and maybe better location
(moved QTH).  About 90% of the score came from search & pounce effort.

Friday started real well for those on the west coast; heard them working
JAs.  Now I know how they feel when we are working Europe.

High point: working Europeans again (26).
Low point: listening to the west coast work JAs and not being able to
hear them.
Most surprising QSO: VE2QRZ from Zone 2!
Biggest mistake: going out in the pouring rain to reverse direction of
the 6 ele. rope yagi to SW before the gray line passed over
Europe/Africa; missed some additonal QSOs.
Nagging problem to fix before next contest: manual antenna switch (6 ele.
versus 4 ele.) in shack makes a sharp metallic click that trips the VOX;
very annoying when trying to work Europe and S. America at the same time.

Station:  TS850SAT with IRCI filters, Heil HC4/boom on Radio Shack
phones, MFJ949D tuner, new dry 9913, 6 element rope-boom yagi stretched
between two trees at 45 ft. fixed on Europe, reversible for ZL/VK/XE, 4
element yagi hanging from tree limb at 40 ft fixed on S. America.

73,
Henry Pollock - WB4HFL
Raleigh, NC

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com