[3830] Sprint CW - K1TO/4

K1to at aol.com K1to at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 04:57:22 EDT 1997

Thanks to lots of help from George, AE4MH and Ron, WD4AHZ, I was
able to radiate a signal on all 3 bands, using a Hustler 6BTV on 20 and
a Butternut HF2V on 40/80. Also used my brand-new (to me) SB-220. The
verts are right outside the shack and I got so much RF into the shack
that the computer was useless for the test. I actually figured this out as I
desperately tried to log #1!!  So, sent and logged everything by hand!!!

On 80, the RF even got into the house alarm system, so had to crank the
power way down. On 20, the RF caused key-down a few times and I lost
several QSOs mid-stream (sorry, Al, K0AD and others)!

Anyway, I blew away my own expectations. This was my first Sprint in ages,
although I used to do them back in the '80s. Started with an 81 hour on 20 -
amazing for this silly trap vertical. At 0115, after consistent key-down and
not
being able to have anybody hear me low-power, I reluctantly retreated to 40.
The HF2V really plays here and I had 163 by the end of the second hour.
After that, it was deadsville, other than a brief flurry when I first got to
80 and
a surprising resurgence on 40 in the last half hour, including #2 from Jose,
CT1BOH who others commented on being conspiciously absent.

Ended up with 279 (unduped) X 43.  For you breakdown fanatics:
20M - 98   1:20
40M - 122  1:42
80M - 59    0:58

Hour #1 - 81  #2 - 82  #3 - 59  #4 - 57

Count me in the group that is shocked to see higher mult numbers from
so many.  I worked every mult I heard, including VE2AWR in the last 10
minutes after hearing him at least 3 other times prior.  Began to wonder if
I would work FL.  Finally got Jeff, WC4E to hear my pw sig on 40 with just
over an hour to go after hearing him several times.  Only semi-rare catch
was Steve, K5OY with #6 from AR at 0102.

This will really be fun when I get some real antennas (not to mention
some RFI-proofing and can use the computer).  I always kick myself for
not tape recording these tests.  It'd be neat to add up all the guys I called

and got beat out to.  Woulda, coulda...

Although the log shows mostly "regulars", it's neat to see that the Sprint is
attracting newcomers such as Liberty, KB9PVN and Steve, N7VSQ.

FL condx are pretty neat!   Might even see y'all in Feb!

73, Dan, K1TO/4

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com