[3830] K5OY 97 Phone Sprint LP

Steve Gibbs tv4029weather at khbs-khog.com
Mon Sep 15 16:13:37 EDT 1997

1997 NCJ NORTH AMERICAN SPRINT

     Call used: K5OY                                           Location: AR

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: SSB             Power: 100W

     Callsign of Operator: K5OY

     Exchanged Information: K5OY nr STEVE AR

     Hours of Operation: 03:49

     band      QSOs     points
    __________________________
      80        52       52      Antenna  G5RV @20’
      40        74       74         "      "
      20        54       54         "     Gap Eagle Vertical
    __________________________
     TOTAL     180       180   X   41 multipliers  =  7,380

     Comments:  After my introduction to sprinting last weekend, I decided to
     continue the exploration on the phone side of things.  Some observations form a
     newcomer.
      1) 100 watts into a G5RV at 20 feet will not win any war of the signals.  I
      probably lost out about 90% of the time when calling with someone else.  I
      missed a lot of stations that way.
      2) I really enjoyed the personal nature of the phone sprint.  Many people came
      back with a quick comment like, “Thanks for the mult last weekend Steve” or,
      “Good to see you again Steve”.  The name recognition, along with a quick, kind
      comment meant a lot to me as a newcomer.
      3) For me, the phone side is much more difficult to work into a flow.  I really
      butchered my first one with K3MD.  And, while they did get better, I never felt
      truly comfortable.  Perhaps experience will make it easier.  Also missed several
      stations due to my lack of coordination.  Tuning, typing, and talking at the
      same time overloaded my feeble brain on many occasions.  In this contest, if you
      hesitate, you lose.
      4) This effort verified what I discovered last week in CW.  The sprints are a
      lot of fun!!
      I know many of you discovered these truths many years ago.  I’m having a ball
      discovering them now.  And, I’m going to convince others to get into the action
      if possible.  Thanks

     I, by virtue of my statement below, have taken part in the

           1997 NCJ NORTH AMERICAN SPRINT on 09/14/1997

     conscientiously applying my most ethical interpretation of the
     published rules for this contest.

     Name: STEVE GIBBS  Call: K5OY
           22 ABERDEEN CT
           FT SMITH