[3830] WA7BNM NAQP SSB

Bruce Horn bhorn at hornucopia.com
Sun Aug 16 10:30:14 EDT 1998

              North American QSO Party - SSB
                    August 15-16, 1998

Call: WA7BNM
Location: CA (S.Calif)
Op Time: 10 hrs
Team: SCCC #1
Power: 150W

       Q      M
------------------------
160     1     1
 80    31    11
 40   101    36
 20   205    53
 15   256    43
 10    67    17
------------------------
      661   161   =  106,421

Comments:

Had a lot of fun. Hope everyone else did also! For the first time, I
actually moved some people to different bands. Got W5WMU to move to 10m
even though he thought the band was dead -- for an easy QSO. Of course, one
needs to pay attention so that you move "multipliers" that you actually
need.

Hope conditions on 15m are as good during CQWW. I wasn't mentally prepared
to have Europeans answering my CQs. The "highlight" was having A61AO answer
my CQ -- I've only had one other QSO with an A6 on any band!

Got into a frequency fight on 20m with someone who was "reserving" a
frequency for a net operation that hadn't started yet! He proceeded to QRM
me for the next 10 or 15 minutes, before finally giving up since I was
managing to work people despite his efforts. I think the best approach is
to never acknowledge the QRMer and just keep at it (as long as you're able
to be at least partially effective).

Generally, everyone is very courteous during this contest with a lot of
casual operators handing out QSOs.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn at hornucopia.com)

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com