[3830] KB0VVT(10YROLD) CQWW CW M/S(Parent Assisted) LP

David Rich kg0us@swbell.net
Tue Dec 1 04:33:16 EST 1998

                   CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST  1998

      Call: KB0VVT                   Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single

      160        0        0     0.00      0       0
       80        0        0     0.00      0       0
       40       17       46     2.71      7      13
       20        8       21     2.62      6       7
       15       27       71     2.63     16      20
       10       53      138     2.60     19      36

     Totals    105      276     2.63     48      76  =>  34,224

Operator List: KB0VVT assisted by my Dad KG0US.

Equipment Description:

Kenwood TS850SAT 100W output to R7 Vertical 30 feet above ground.
MFJ 492X Memory Keyer.

Club Affiliation: KANSAS CITY DX CLUB

Comments:

Rebecca and I learned two things during this particular contest:

1.  We need a lot more practice copying higher speed cw.

2.  A Yagi antenna would be of great benefit.

We thought that copying cw during this contest would have been much
easier than SS CW because the exchange was so simple.  However, our
assumption turned out to be false.  While the exchange was fairly easy
to copy the calls were extremely difficult at times.  During SS, we
pretty much expected US calls of Wxxx, Kxxxx, Nxxx, and Axxx. The
International calls can be all sorts of combinations of letters and
numbers.  This made it much more difficult for us to copy. Every couple
of hours, we found ourselves printing out some of the DX Summit spots at
http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/.  We used the information as a crutch to
help us verify calls before we attempted to contact the station in
question.  This took a lot of extra time since we did not want to be
embarrassed by sending a completely incorrect call during the exchange.
I have to admit the score would not be near as good without the DX
Summit spot information and the log would have a ton of errors.  It is
too bad that there is not a major cw contest with a maximum speed at
about 20 wpm to help beginners bridge the gap.  Until then we will just
keep trying.  We still had fun making all the contacts.

Tnx and 73,

Dave KG0US and Rebecca KB0VVT