[3830] W9RE ARRL SOU 160 HP

Mike Wetzel w9re at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 13 21:57:46 EST 1998

                    ARRL 160 METER CONTEST -- 1998

      Call: W9RE                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator
					     : High Power
					     : Unassisted
				             : 6 hours

               QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/QSO    SECTIONS  COUNTRIES

     Totals    400     842     2.11         67         13    =   67,360

Noise problems here on 160 in addition to 10.  Can't think of operating
seriously when you just can't hear
even with beverages.  Kind of at my wit's end with the noise on this band.
It is on 160 and 80 constantly
and is varies little, the power company just can't find it.  They have a
load of bad lightning arrestors in
the field that emit noise on low bands and they can be far away and hard to
pinpoint with out a rotating
antenna on either 80 or 160 so it is very frustrating.  I'm thankful it
didn't hamper N9RV too much in
CQWW CW.

Club Affiliation: Society of Midwest Contesters

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Mike Wetzel  W9RE
               7880 Shelbyville Road
               Indianapolis, IN 46259