[3830] KH8/N5OLS 98 ARRL 10m SOHP Mixed

Don Barclay n5ols at samoatelco.com
Tue Dec 15 01:23:22 EST 1998

                       ARRL TEN METER CONTEST  1998

      Call: KH8/N5OLS                Country:  American Samoa (090)
                                     Category: Single Operator High Power

      MODE      QSO    QSO PTS  STATES  COUNTRIES

      CW      1021     4096       61       47
      SSB     1606     3212       62       50

      Totals  2627     7308      123       97  =   1,607,760

(Score should be a little higher if I could figure out how to
 make CT score my maritime mobile.)

Equipment Description: Mosley Pro 67C @ 72'
                       Dipole @ 45'
                       Kenwood TS-950SDX @ 2'
                       Alpha 91B @ 2'

Club Affiliation: North Texas Contest Club

                             Continent Statistics
       KH8/N5OLS       Single Operator High Power     13 Dec 1998  2359z

                  10   percent

     CW
North America    778    29.5
South America     23     0.9
Europe             5     0.2
Asia             187     7.1
Africa             2     0.1
Oceania           28     1.1

     SSB
North America   1113    42.3
South America     45     1.7
Europe             5     0.2
Asia             356    13.5
Africa             0     0.0
Oceania           91     3.5

Gee, what a change from last year.  After a couple of
years with no propagation on 10 to the states, it all
switched around in one weekend. All states on both CW
and SSB, compared with almost none in years past.  It
was only possible due to some really nice guys in some
rare states QSY'ing to CW or SSB for me, though.  The
tough VE provinces were in there too, thanks, fellows.
Like everybody else, I didn't hear VO2 (no surprise)
or VY1 (a bit of a surprise).  You've spoiled us, J.!

Country count was way down.  I had absolutely no polar
propagation, and the only Europeans that I worked were
in zone 16, European Russia and the Ukraine.  I did
hear a loud IK4 station in both my evening and early
morning, skewed path, but my Alpha 91 wasn't big enough
to make him hesitate.  No other zone 15 or 14 guys were
copied, even though I could hear the ZL's and VK's and
FK8 working them.  Wednesday and Thursday I could copy
tons of eastern Europeans on the long path, and they
were there on Monday after the contest, of course, but
nil during the weekend.  I sent up my prayers to the
propagation gods for a short opening to Europe each
night, but I guess they either got absorbed by the "D"
layer or were blocked by the aurora.  I'll take the
fantastic North America openings over last year's short
European openings, though, if I have to make a choice...

Am I in the new Super Check Partial as KH8/NH0LS, or what?

Sorry to my in-laws for not taking them to the airport,
and my new neighbor, who came over Saturday evening to
report that I was messing up her (cheap, unshielded,
WalMart) sound system.  I was quick to shut the amplifier
off---NOT!!!

Great contest, and next year should be even better!
See ya, 73

Don KH8/N5OLS
n5ols at samoatelco.com
QSL via N5JA