[3830] KK7GW Phone Sprint SOLP

David Jones kk7gw at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 20:06:22 EST 1998

KK7GW Single Op/Low Power

Band      Raw Q's    Valid Q's   Mults

 20         16          16         5
 40         59          57        20
 80          1           1         1

Total       76          74        26-->1,924

Hours of operation: 3.4

Equipment: Kenwood TS-530, dipole @20-25 feet.

Comments: Interesting contest.  My first sprint where I really went
after Q's.  40 stayed fairly long the whole time and I can't get
anything on 75.  The pig farmers were out in force on 75, I heard
numerous references to "those damn contesters".  I need a better antenna
for 80, the only person who could hear me was Rich, N7TR.
There's no meters like 40 meters though. What a band.  Despite having a
S5 noise level from 7.210 to 7.270, I still had a ball on 40.  Many 6's
were practically breaking my needle at 40 over, I thought my receiver
was going to overload once.  The Heil performed great, and a boom mike
is a LOT better than a hand mike.  We should rename this one the
"Southwest Sprint".  Let's see, with 40 minutes left, N7TR, AD6DO, K6LL
and a whole bunch more in that area are already over 200 Q's.  Great
job.  I don't have a competitive score, but I sure learned to deal with
QRM.  From 0100z to about 0145z the whole area from 7.220 to 7.240 was
packed.  Picking out info when there's someone 20 over half a kHz up is
really tough.  Fun contest.

See you all in ARRL DX, out of town for the CW sprint.  Thanks for the
Q's.

73

David Jones, KK7GW
kk7gw at hotmail.com