[3830] SSB Sprint Results and Comments - K9JF

Jim Fenstermaker, K9JF jfenster at pacifier.com
Sun Feb 1 08:03:46 EST 1998

My goal was to break 300 QSOs for the first time in this madness called
SPRINT!

Of course, it didn't seem to be as the family and wife had different ideas.
 The boys were in a Jazz band contest which took all evening Friday as well
as the morning Saturday.  My fatherly duties say I must attend.  In
addition, the yearly meeting of our homeowner's association was also
Saturday morning which is a MUST participation on my behalf (you
know,,,keep peace with the neighbors).  Finally, we began preparation about
2130Z with the loading of TR into the computers.  At 2300Z, I was still
working on the rigs so decided to log manually and leave TR for another
time.

Coax was moved from rig to rig and the station reconfigured.  20 works FB,
80 works FB, 40 meters drives the grid current on the AL1200 above 500ma
(there goes the tube).  Fortunately, it survives and I try to find the
problem.  Oh, the wrong coax and I was trying to feed the the 160 meter
shunt-fed tower on 40.  At 2345Z all is ready to go.  I still haven't
figured how to manage the mike and earphones on the 40/75 station but
decide to worry about that when the time comes (BIG MISTAKE).

Open on 20 and get some fantastic rates.  At about 0055Z...click...the band
absolutely dies.  On to 40.  No boom mike or earphone.  Only the hand-held
push-to-talk mike for the FT-1000MP.  How can I push the switch, hand log
and hand dupe, and tune at the same time-very poorly I discovered.  After
the test ended, I remembered that I have an adaptor cable that could have
been used with the Heil boom mike used on the 20 meter station.  This must
have cost me 20-30 Q's

40 was hot as was 75.  Thought I would meet my goal until the last hour.
Rates dropped and couldn't buy anything the last half-hour of the contest.
The last 5 minutes brought only 2 Qs.  Missed NY and MI for mults!!!!

Hope I can learn from this and be better prepared for the next Sprint!

Call Used:		K9JF
Section:		Washington
Operator:		K9JF

QSO's			291
Mults:			46
Score:			13,386

Club Affiliation:		Boring ARC

Breakdown:		20 Meters	86 QSOs
			40 Meters	103 QSOs
			75 Meters	102 QSOs

Rigs:			20 Meters	TS-850S + Henry 2K Classic
					205CAS @ 100'
					TH6DXX @ 55'

			40 Meters	FT-1000MP
					AL-1200
					402CD @ 108'
			75 Meters	FT-1000MP + Henry 3K-A
					Elevated 4-Square
					Inverted Vee at 95'

As usual, a great challenge!  Great Ops.  A good time.  Thanks for the
QSO's

73 Jim K9JF

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com